HYPERCHARGE: Unboxed is a shooter all about toys, a bit like the classic movie Small Soldiers and back in late March, it had a huge free upgrade. Honestly, this would have been my dream game to play through growing up. With movies like Small Soldiers and Toy Story, I probably would have had a tiny heart attack of excitement seeing this.
It has Native Linux support, it's Steam Deck Verified and I checked it out a bit today in the new mode with all the improvements and it feels great! Looks fantastic too, they really have the toy style down nicely. With the new update that landed on March 27th, they really put the work in on this one with it filled full of cartoon-strip 90s inspired cutscenes, lots of voice over and overhauls to multiple parts of the game.
All the major changes:
- Added the new Story mode to the base game. Cinematics and missions!
- Added Primary and Optional missions to all levels. Some missions are completable in Free Roam for extra time.
- Added new Boss enemy. The big man himself: Major Evil.
- Added new Max Damage and Major Evil unlockable characters with multiple skins for characters and weapons!
- Added new level (Rental Lair), the final stand against major evil in this upscale fancy apartment.
- Added Story Cinematics menu to Extras so you can rewatch the cutscenes.
- Added Max Ammo minigame playable Arcade Machine to the new Apartment map.
- Added Max Ammo minigame button to the Extras after completing all objectives on the new map.
- Added new Map selection and Campaign lobby for offline Singleplayer/Splitscreen to a better view of enemies and objectives.
- Added Objectives list to the ingame Pause menu so you can more easily check your objective progress.
- Added new random poses to characters in the Lobby menus.
- Added new music tracks. Some music in earlier levels has been moved around for a more fitting gameplay experience.
- Added level specific Bots that match the cutscene characters!
- Added Options > Controler slider for adjusting the Aim Damping effect.
- Added a system to detect a corrupt save file and to restore a valid one from a backup.
- Added objectives to end of round screen.
- Added spectator-death mode to track enemy that killed you.
A shooter that blends in tower defence, with you facing off against many different types of enemy toys, what's not to love about it? You can play it solo or in co-op with up to 4 people with local and online multiplayer supported.