We do often include affiliate links to earn us some pennies. See more here.

Over 5% of The Pale Beyond players were on Steam Deck

By - | Views: 29,117

Here's an interesting little data point for you, as the developers behind the polar exploration and survival game The Pale Beyond have given an update on Steam Deck engagement with their game.

In a recent video from Bellular Studios, who run the Bellular News YouTube channel, they showed off that 5.28% of players overall were on Steam Deck. The video went up on Nov 24th, 2023 and it's mentioned they're recent stats and Michael mentions in the video how they were "absolutely god damn shocked just how many people were playing on Steam Deck".

The Steam Deck bit starts around 4:37 which is where the video embed below should start:

YouTube Thumbnail
YouTube videos require cookies, you must accept their cookies to view. View cookie preferences.
Accept Cookies & Show   Direct Link

What's interesting though is this is not the first time I've covered it. Looking back on it, they also said back in March this year how Steam Deck sales were at 10% but that was quite early on after release and the game has now been out for around 9 months. Seeing over 5% of players actually being on Steam Deck though seems like a pretty good number, and far above macOS.

You can buy a copy on Humble Store and Steam. It's rated steam deck verified Steam Deck Verified and it's also Platinum on ProtonDB.

Article taken from GamingOnLinux.com.
16 Likes
About the author -
author picture
I am the owner of GamingOnLinux. After discovering Linux back in the days of Mandrake in 2003, I constantly came back to check on the progress of Linux until Ubuntu appeared on the scene and it helped me to really love it. You can reach me easily by emailing GamingOnLinux directly. Find me on Mastodon.
See more from me
9 comments

Minux Nov 27, 2023
I've never been more thankful on the effort put by everyone to make gaming on Linux a reality. Specially Valve. They got a huge chunk on my heart for granted. I still remember the old days on Ubuntu 6.06 trying to execute everything through terminal in order to have a single game running. Not anymore. xD

My next hope is something to bring down the barrier that the bloody EAC (Easy Anti-Cheat) is giving us once for all. Darn, most of the games work but that's the thing blocking us from playing.

Valve.
fenglengshun Nov 27, 2023
QuoteLooking back on it, they also said back in March this year how Steam Deck sales were at 10% but that was quite early on after release and the game has now been out for around 9 months. Seeing over 5% of players actually being on Steam Deck though seems like a pretty good number, and far above macOS.
That is quite interesting. I know that a lot of indie devs often really could use help from early adopters, and what it suggests is that, if your game appeals to Steam Deck demographics, it's really worth it to get compatibility down as Deck players would buy your game early in the post-release lifecycle which would help in recouping cost.
Obscure Nov 27, 2023
The stats they show only add up to 95.43% so is it safe to say the other 4.57% were from Linux users across all the various distros?
Salvatos Nov 27, 2023
Quoting: ObscureThe stats they show only add up to 95.43% so is it safe to say the other 4.57% were from Linux users across all the various distros?
They also only show Windows 10 and 11, I would assume they have many players on earlier editions.
Purple Library Guy Nov 27, 2023
Quoting: Salvatos
Quoting: ObscureThe stats they show only add up to 95.43% so is it safe to say the other 4.57% were from Linux users across all the various distros?
They also only show Windows 10 and 11, I would assume they have many players on earlier editions.
I was assuming that was those fabled psychic/magical hackers who work the net with their minds alone! and so there was no OS involved.
Obscure Nov 27, 2023
Quoting: Salvatos
Quoting: ObscureThe stats they show only add up to 95.43% so is it safe to say the other 4.57% were from Linux users across all the various distros?
They also only show Windows 10 and 11, I would assume they have many players on earlier editions.
Ah yes that's true probably a mixup of all sorts then for the last few %
slaapliedje Nov 28, 2023
Quoting: Salvatos
Quoting: ObscureThe stats they show only add up to 95.43% so is it safe to say the other 4.57% were from Linux users across all the various distros?
They also only show Windows 10 and 11, I would assume they have many players on earlier editions.
i thought Steam no longer works on 7? And would anyone seriously stay on 8.x?
Eike Nov 28, 2023
View PC info
  • Supporter Plus
Quoting: slaapliedje
Quoting: Salvatos
Quoting: ObscureThe stats they show only add up to 95.43% so is it safe to say the other 4.57% were from Linux users across all the various distros?
They also only show Windows 10 and 11, I would assume they have many players on earlier editions.
i thought Steam no longer works on 7? And would anyone seriously stay on 8.x?

I think that's with the beginning of next year. We saw some of them (not many though) on the Steam for Linux forums. Though tbh I am not sure I want people who run operating systems without security support to switch to Linux now. One of them explicitly said they don't want to do any os updates...
slaapliedje Nov 29, 2023
Quoting: Eike
Quoting: slaapliedje
Quoting: Salvatos
Quoting: ObscureThe stats they show only add up to 95.43% so is it safe to say the other 4.57% were from Linux users across all the various distros?
They also only show Windows 10 and 11, I would assume they have many players on earlier editions.
i thought Steam no longer works on 7? And would anyone seriously stay on 8.x?

I think that's with the beginning of next year. We saw some of them (not many though) on the Steam for Linux forums. Though tbh I am not sure I want people who run operating systems without security support to switch to Linux now. One of them explicitly said they don't want to do any os updates...
Yikes! Ha, I've gotten lazy lately and just install the 'unattended-upgrades' in Debian and let it do it's thing on my server. I just keep my sid box on manual updates. Lately I seem to only go into Windows to apply updates, or the rare time I need to burn an EEPROM or something (though I can actually do that with Linux, but they don't have the GUI stuff for some of the programmers, so it's harder to see exactly what you're burning.)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register


Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.