Race The Sun was a wonderful little game released back in 2013 and now Flippfly LLC are back with a new more combat-focused game called Whisker Squadron that might scratch your Star Fox itch.
"Whisker Squadron is brought to you by the team who made Race The Sun. We are building on that game's technology to combine silky smooth, immersive flight with roguelike elements, to create an experience that's unlike anything on the market today. If you liked Starfox, you'll love the character banter and playful story. If you liked Race The Sun, you'll feel right at home with the forward-moving action and smooth controls. If you liked tactical roguelikes such as FTL or Slay The Spire, you're going to love the special events between worlds and tactical upgrade choices."
It's currently crowdfunding on Kickstarter with a campaign that just launched today, with a set goal of $30,000 they need to hit by May 6. They've already managed to hit $5K just after launch so it's looking like it will probably get funded reasonably quickly. For the actual release they're making it clear they're "planning on supporting Windows, Mac, and Linux on PC" in addition to consoles.
Here's some of what to expect from it:
- Engage in epic aerial combat with your feline pilot of choice
- Take on a series of epic, procedurally-generated boss fights
- Fight your way through dynamic worlds in a mission that's unique every time you play it
- Procedurally generated, rogue-like mission structure that's unique every time you play
- Incredibly dynamic procedurally-generated bosses that make for intense climax to every act
- Choose your pilots from a cast of 3 feline heroes
- Daily challenges and leaderboards
The idea that boss fights will be procedurally generated sounds pretty awesome. Flippfly definitely have my vote on this one, even though it's early on in the development stages it already looks mighty impressive, especially if you're a fan of the classic shoot 'em ups like this as I am.