More goodies have arrived for OpenRCT2 the open source re-implementation of RollerCoaster Tycoon 2. Although it's fully playable already, the developers of this FOSS project continue to improve it a lot. This is another project that helps to keep a real classic game alive on modern systems, while also continually improving various features to make it feel just that little bit more modern.
Some of the new additions in version 0.4.1 released on July 4th include:
- Alpine Coaster track type.
- Option to show ride vehicles as separate entries when selecting a ride to construct.
- FLAC and OGG/vorbis as supported audio formats for ride music objects.
- Add vehicles for the Hybrid Coaster, Single-Rail Roller Coaster and Classic Mini Roller Coaster.
- More natural looking shorelines in map generator.
- Parks can now be resized into rectangular shapes from the map and map generation windows.
- Tree placement is more natural during map generation.
- The maximum price for the park entry has been raised to £999.
- Weather no longer resets when converting a save to scenario.
- Music Style dropdown is now sorted by name.
- Transparency can be enabled directly without needing see-through enabled first.
Plus around 37 bug fixes were noted to make the game much more stable overall.
Getting it running on Linux is nice and simple too since they offer an official AppImage and there's also a Flatpak available via Flathub.