Embracer Group are quite terrifying. The amount of power they have in the gaming industry is simply insane and now they're swallowing up more studios and even the full rights to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.
Announced across multiple press releases today they've put out their intention to acquire:
- Limited Run Games - who make physical releases for collectors. This deal will also include something called "Carbon Engine", which is a tech they developed "that allows legacy content and retro games to be effortlessly put out in highly accurate, emulation-based ports for modern platforms".
- Singtrix - an award-winning creator of industry leading vocal processing effects technology for karaoke, gaming, and entertainment.
- Middle-earth Enterprises - so they will own the full worldwide rights to The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit and other Middle-earth-related works across motion pictures, video games, board games, merchandising, theme parks and stage productions. So they won't own the actual literary works, just the IP rights to do basically anything with them.
- Tuxedo Labs - they made the pretty awesome game Teardown.
- Tripwire Interactive - developed the Killing Floor and Rising Storm games.
How long before Embracer Group buy up the rest of the internet? I'm expecting a knock on the door soon, kidding of course.