RNG Party Games recently put out a freshly baked demo version of the typing dungeon crawler Backspace Bouken. It's a really sweet idea and thoroughly flips classic dungeon crawling on its head.
Backspace Bouken is a Japanese-inspired old-school dungeon crawler with a fast-paced typing battle system and ridiculous storyline. Fight monsters by typing their dialogue as you progress through the game and climb the tower. Fast and accurate typing will be rewarded, and maybe you'll even become a better typer!
They also have a new trailer up to show it off a little more:
The developer linked us to this list of what's new and improved since the first demo back in June:
- About half of the content has been completely remade
- Difficulty is now scalable! The game will test your speed and place you in a set difficulty range.
- Collectathon system introduced — collect NPCs as you travel through the tower.
- Completely new puzzle mechanics including switches and ice blocks
- Brand new intro cutscene. We’re proud of this one.
- Map completion progress is displayed in the menu & there’s a certain reward for completing a map.
- The game is now entirely controllable with a keyboard — type menu items to select them! (You can still use the mouse if you prefer)
- New enemy type
- Dodging — you can now dodge out of the way of attacks with just the right timing.
- Lots of new sound design changes (SFX galore)
- Enemies have real names now!
- Edited movement animation (trying to make it more comfy)
- Lots of tiny graphical changes & new animations