Reigns: Game of Thrones is the new entry to the Reigns series that has you swiping left and right to make decisions and hopefully not get murdered. It's released today with same-day Linux support, as a fan of Game of Thrones I couldn't be happier to see a themed game officially supported on Linux.
Note: Copy provided by GOG for testing.
With gameplay much like the previous titles, it takes the swiping mechanic from popular "dating apps" and adds a unique spin with you making decisions to progress your story. It's a very simple idea and it actually works really well, a great game for killing some time. I know there will be grumbles about the mechanics of a mobile game, but it fits perfectly here.
The night is dark and full of terrors. In this case, the night is full of people trying to stab me in the back and succeeding most of the time.
- A Formidable Cast: Rule from the Iron Throne as Cersei Lannister, Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen, Tyrion Lannister, Sansa Stark, and more. Change between each king and queen you unlock to face challenges and mysteries unique to their story.
- Impose Your Will: Swipe left or right to change the fate of the Seven Kingdoms forever as you hear the impassioned pleas and unpredictable demands from the people of Westeros. If a particular character becomes bothersome, tear their card in half to unburden Your Majesty with their concerns – but at what cost?
- Reenvision Westeros: Melisandre’s visions are your playing field and extend beyond the TV series to imagine the many fates of those that would sit upon the Iron Throne. Rebuild the Great Sept of Baelor as Cersei or discover the path of the Seven Kingdoms if Sansa Stark had married Jaime Lannister.
- Regal Mini Games: Even the most powerful rulers need to set aside their worries and partake in more trivial matters now and then. From jousting to tavern brawls, these distractions aren’t without consequence!
- A Grander Reigns: Fans of the Reigns series will be delighted with the biggest, deepest entry in the series that does not simply retell the stories you know but rather lets you create new adventures at your whim.
- Iconic Soundtrack: Decide the fate of Westeros and those that reside in your land to the soaring score of the HBO series by Ramin Djawadi.
What I love about it, is that it's a game that you can happily kick back with a gamepad in hand as it worked beautifully with the Steam Controller. It's a surprising game, with many twists and turns that will happily keep you on your toes as you attempt to navigate the politics of Game of Thrones. Naturally, a lot of rounds may end up quite brief as one or two false steps can result in a blade to the face but even then it's a really fun experience.