My name is Jack and I am one of the two persons behind "Running with Rifles".
The game is in beta (75% done) and the first LINUX beta is almost done (should be a matter of days now)!
RWR will be available for Linux on Desura (it is already for windows) and on steam if we get greenlit. Other digital distribution methods for linux might come as well.
What is RUNNING WITH RIFLES?
“Keep your head down SOLDIER – you’ll need it!”
Pick up your rifle and join the Green or Grey army in their mission to send the enemy home in a box! RWR is an open world,
top-down, tactical shooter for single player and multiplayer online, that puts you right in the middle of chaos in towns,
trenches and forests turned into ruthless battlefields, controlling just one soldier in an army of several hundreds.
In a war where men die like flies and endless streams of reinforcements run to fill the void, it takes tactics and marksmanship
to capture territories effectively. The open world nature of the game enables you to use a multitude of approaches to help the front
line move – it’s up to you to shape your role. Experience the complete arc starting as a private hardening into a high ranking officer
with a squad under command, arming yourself with a variety of weapons and vehicles on your way to glory!
Key features, so far:
- 24/7 servers in Europe and USA supporting 30+ players
- 4x 1 km^2 maps with total of 35 bases
- 1x PvP (no AI) map with 7 bases
- hundreds of simultaneous AI soldiers
- open world: it’s up to you how you play, the war goes on without you
- not your usual “I’m the hero”-shooter: one bullet kills more often than not
- use cover, crouch and prone, move with others to increase your odds to stay alive
- day/night cycle which affects the vision and behaviour of the AI.
- emergent AI that tries hard: they too use cover and rooftops, attempt outflanking
- gain experience to get promotions to lead your own squad, unlock abilities
- variety of modern weapons, and thus, roles
- grenades, bazookas and mortar strikes
- vehicles: jeeps, armored trucks which can be used as mobile spawn point and APC’s
- vehicle driving and navigation AI either autonomously or after they receive a special order
- stats tracking and achievment system
- Linux and Mac ports
- new outfits
- new maps
- new vehicles (boats, tanks, engineer trucks, mobile radar vehicles...)
- optimize online implementation to support even more players
- engineer features: constructible/destructible walls, anti-tank mines...
- more modding possibilities
Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=104265955
Windows Demo download: http://www.modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/?page_id=22
Windows Demo download mirror: http://www.desura.com/games/running-with-rifles/play/3156
Linux Demo download: not yet.
This article was submitted by a guest, we encourage anyone to submit their own articles.