Linux hardware vendor System76 [Official Site] (and now a Linux distribution maker too) have just announced their new Oryx Pro laptop and it's a beast.
They also made a rather amusing video to go along with it:
From what they told me, they've been able to make it more powerful than their last model while also making it thinner at 19mm, with a weight around 4.37 lbs. (1.98 kg.). For those interested in picking one up, they will be giving a choice between their brand new Pop!_OS 18.04 LTS (64-bit) or Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
As for the rest of the specs, have a look at this:
- Processor: 8th Gen Intel® Core i7-8750H (2.2 up to 4.1 GHz - 9MB Cache - 6 cores - 12 threads)
- Display: 15″ HiDPI and IPS display options (4K display only available with the NVIDIA 1070)
- Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 or 1070 (plus Intel graphics to switch between)
- Memory: Up to 32 GB Dual Channel DDR4 @ 2400MHz (8GB base model)
- Storage: 1× M.2 SSD, 1× 2.5″ 7mm height drive. Up to 6 TB total (250GB M.2 base model)
- Expansion: 2× USB 3.1 Type-C, 3× USB 3.1Type-A, SD Card Reader
- Input: Multi-Touch Clickpad, Multi-Color Backlit Chicklet Keyboard
- Networking: Gigabit Ethernet, Intel® Wireless-AC WiFi, Bluetooth
- Video Ports: 1× HDMI output port (with HDCP), 2× DisplayPort 1.3
- Audio: Stereo Speakers, Stereo Mic, Headphone Jack, Mic Jack, S/PDIF
- Camera: 1080p HD Webcam
- Battery: 4 Cell Polymer – 55 Wh
The minimum price is $1,599 and that will obviously go up depending on the configuration. It's available to pre-order now, with shipments expected at the end of May. You can find out more here if you're interested.
I think it's really great that a dedicated Linux hardware vendor is doing so damn well, considering most traditional stores don't offer anything outside of Windows 10. I certainly wouldn't mind one of their units one day, they always look really good.