Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Whats your Favorite game of all Time and Why?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
tweakedenigma Aug 31, 2010
Whats your Favorite game of all Time and Why?

I have to go with Skies of Arcadia for the DreamCast (and the remake for the GameCube). I love this game for a lot of reasons. The Story line is great focusing on Vyse of the Blue Rouges (group of Sky Pirates) and his battle with the Valuaian Armada. The battle system is fantastic, with great special attacks and combinations and the Ship battles are are a lot of fun (although a little repetitive.

If you enjoy RPGs I would recommend checking it out.
Hamish Aug 31, 2010
Re: Whats your Favorite game of all Time and Why?

I hate to venture a "favourite game of all time" because I am not very selective, and have too many classics at hand to raise one above the rest. But to choose games which have literally changed my life, the original Doom is certainly high on that list. As I have said previously, it was my main motivation to lean how to program. When it comes to total hours played Quake III probably tops the list, I still probably play that about two-three times a week. If I had a better internet connection I would probably be earning a name for myself in QuakeLive, but that is not likely to improve any-time soon. The sadly non-native Blood and Blood II and the happily native Shogo also were life changers. As you can probably tell, I am a a die hard shooter player, though I have been trying to branch out into other genres. Penumbra is my most recently played favourite, it was a comfort during a hard time in my life. So I wont venture an all time favourite, but I can say I definitely do treasure my games.
MaximB Aug 31, 2010

Hamish : Are you legally allowed to play Penumbra ? isn't it for 18+ ? ;)

Favorite game of all times is a hard question to answer, there are so many good games, and games that where favorites at the time are now grew old and aged.
One of my favorite games is Fallout2 (I know many people consider Fallout1 the better game, but I don't like time based games).
Blood1 is also one of my favorites, the best BUILD game ever and one of the best FPS of all times.
Doom2 was also great, I actually passed till the last level without cheats.
HOMM3 Complete is a game that I even play today (when I'm in other town which has the Windows PC the game installed on)
Settlers2 is still great

Currently I'm spending too much time on Heroes Of Newerth which is very addictive.
alexandrius Aug 31, 2010

It's Half-Life
Because of genuine storyline, gameplay, environment, best engine ever
2nd is gothic (not creepy third one) storyline, gameplay, environment, ability to have different relationships with different people
Liam Dawe Aug 31, 2010

For me that's really a hard one, can't put it down to just one i have a few i think.

Total Annihilation - Chris Taylors original RTS masterpiece, hundreds of units, loads of maps, the game was just huge for it's time and so different from others.
Supreme Commander/2/Forged Alliance - Again a Chris Taylor masterpiece his "spiritual successors" to Total Annihilation. This time even bigger, with even more units and of course graphics to die for.

A couple more like Diablo 2 as well.
alexandrius Aug 31, 2010

It's really funny and sad that non of the games are linux native :D :(

Too true, Although just for the record my Favorite Linux game is And yet it Moves. That games was a lot of fun.
MaximB Aug 31, 2010

Quoting: liamdaweFor me that's really a hard one, can't put it down to just one i have a few i think.

Total Annihilation - Chris Taylors original RTS masterpiece, hundreds of units, loads of maps, the game was just huge for it's time and so different from others.
Supreme Commander/2/Forged Alliance - Again a Chris Taylor masterpiece his "spiritual successors" to Total Annihilation. This time even bigger, with even more units and of course graphics to die for.

Didn't play Supreme Commander, but Total Annihilation was THE best strategy game at the time and long after, shame that the PC AI was usually weak.
And once I built the super weapons (A few Atom Bombs or Great Turret/Vulcan) it was over for him ;)

I've tried the FOSS Spring, but disappointed because :
1. The map loading was slow as hell even on my Quad core 4GB RAM PC.
2. On GNU/Linux there is no way I know to easily and automatically download maps/mods and keep them updated all the time (Like GNU/Linux do to itself ;) )
I have many maps and mods I've downloaded 1-2 years ago (the are on DVD), now I can't know if some maps/mods where updated, and there is no easy way to update them - you need to search for each map/mod and check it out manually - not so easy when you have 100+ maps.
3. many mods don't suite some AI's and the game crashes after loading because of that (or the AI is not active, don't remember).
4. I hear the AI is weak

Those problems are not that hard to fix, but maybe you know better and can update me (didn't play Spring for years now...).
Liam Dawe Aug 31, 2010

I have the same specs as you, quad core, 4gb ram and maps load within seconds for me dude.

All games that have downloadable maps and mods suffer from the problem you describe, the lobby auto-downloads mods and maps you don't have/don't have the current version of when you try to join games which is awesome.

AI problem is specific to Spring since it doesn't have one AI, there are multiple - the reasons for that is that each mod of the original TA plays very differently and then theres the original games they play differently again - not a problem with spring at all - a problem with either the AI or the Mod/Game ;)

Quoting: liamdaweFor me that's really a hard one, can't put it down to just one i have a few i think.

I'm a big RTS Fan but it seems I missed out on these two. I guess I will have to get them.
MaximB Aug 31, 2010

Quoting: liamdaweI have the same specs as you, quad core, 4gb ram and maps load within seconds for me dude.

All games that have downloadable maps and mods suffer from the problem you describe, the lobby auto-downloads mods and maps you don't have/don't have the current version of when you try to join games which is awesome.

AI problem is specific to Spring since it doesn't have one AI, there are multiple - the reasons for that is that each mod of the original TA plays very differently and then theres the original games they play differently again - not a problem with spring at all - a problem with either the AI or the Mod/Game ;)

It's been awhile since I've played Spring , so thing might have changed.
The map loading was slow for me at the time because I've set ALL the graphic options to MAX ;) , and I had ATI Radeon 4800HD back then with their crappy drivers.

But is it now possible within the lobby (or some other GUI) to download maps and mods for single player matches ?
I don't mean like in RTCW MP, when you join a game the map downloads automatically, I mean in SP games (yeah I usually play SP games, unless it's MP only like HoN).

And how can I know which mod will work with which AI ?
Also what AI is better/worse/dummy ?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.