You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Finally found a job !
MaximB Dec 19, 2010
Hello !

As you might know the company I worked at for 3.5 years got bankrupt about 2 months ago due to lack of funds (NOT because of me ;) ).
After 2 months of searching (and denying 1 offer) I've finally found an outsource job at a major company.
I was looking for a Linux job and I was hired for one, but what they didn't tell me is that this major company has only 4 Linux servers overall and they are ancient (kernel 2.2) and going to be offline soon.
And my actual job was to support....yep you guessed it - Windows Users and network.
And they basically paying me pennies for it.

As it's an outsource job I had no opportunity to visit my workplace before I've signed the contract.
I can off course "break it" but unfortunately I have no other job offer.

So I'm a little-bit screwed, but at least I got a job.

The interview should have given me the idea about my "Linux job" :
Q : what Linux text editors you know ?
A : Gedit, Vim...
Q: How do you quit from Vim ?
A: Ctrl+Q
Q: Does it save your work ?
A: No.
Q: How do you save your work at Vim ?
A: Ctrl+W
Q: Perfect - you are hired !
A: Mmm....ok....

So I'll have less time to update LGN and search for news.
Hamish Dec 19, 2010
Glad you got a job, but yeah, if I was you I would try and keep my options open, and keep looking for something better. If they were that misleading about what your job entailed I would not trust them very much. *shrugs*
MaximB Dec 19, 2010
Yeah, but still it's a Billion Dollar company (Not Microsoft) and I got a lot of options available once I've settled and got XP.

But damn...those stupid Windows questions...
Hamish Dec 19, 2010
Quoting: "MaximB, post: 973"But damn...those stupid Windows questions...

I hear you... ;)

I should really brush up on my VIM knowledge myself though, currently for editing I mostly just use gedit and nano... both good editors, but it does not give you the proper street cred, you know? :p
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.