Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Looking for a Linux-friendly gaming laptop
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Bernardo Mar 8, 2015
Hi there,

As stated in the "introduce yourself" topic, I not currently a Linux user.
However, I'm planning to buy a gaming laptop in the next few months. With the latest Valve announcement, I'm really thinking of buying a linux friendly laptop.
The MSI laptops look interesting, as you can buy them without any OS. But since the hardware on those laptops differs from what is usually found on regular PC's, I wonder wether or not the laptop specific features (for instance, the glowing keyboard) will be supported with a Linux OS (ubuntu or steamOS probably, since I'm looking something beginner-friendly).
I hope some of you experimented this and will be able to help me join the linux gaming community !

Bernardo,
Cheers
Samsai Mar 8, 2015
Acer laptops have been fairly Linux-friendly for me, though my current Aspire V3 is hardly a gaming laptop. But the general rule of thumb is to get a laptop with a single GPU. Many laptops these days have hybrid graphics using integrated chips and a more powerful discrete GPU, with the idea that during normal usage (browsing, writing documents, etc) only the integrated chip is used and during gaming the discrete GPU activates and the graphics processing is pushed onto it. Sadly this doesn't work quite as nicely on Linux and you might have to do some tweaking to get that working properly.

So, if you can, get a laptop with just a discrete Nvidia GPU, preferrably not the latest generation. Intels are also okay but you won't be doing much 3D gaming on them, as they are pretty weak.

Now I'm not sure about these special laptop features, such as glowing keyboards. All of my keyboards are boring non-glowing ones so I can't really comment on that. I imagine there is some level of support for those though.
Liam Dawe Mar 8, 2015
Where are you located in the world? Would help in giving you options.
Bernardo Mar 8, 2015
Tanks for the answers.
First, I live in France and usually buy my hardware components at www.ldlc.com or www.materiel.net.

The glowing keyboard is not the main concern actually ;)
What you say about those hybrid graphics worries me a lot because I was interested in laptops from the GS70 and GT72 series by MSI. I like the GT72 because there is room for extra memory and SSD. Unfortunately, the GT72 use this hybrid graphics technology...
Liam Dawe Mar 8, 2015
You will be hard pressed to find a laptop with nvidia that isn't a hybrid.

I am testing out a laptop from http://www.entroware.com at the moment, and they are great (review will be up soon).
tobiushirogeri Mar 8, 2015
I was surprised by my Alienware 14 laptop. DIdn't think it would be as frendly as it is for linux and for linux gaming.

Of course it requires a bit of tweaks as for the bumblebee and primus driver to support the Optimus Nvidia technology, but once it's done, it works great!
Julius Mar 17, 2015
Nvidia optimus works fine these days with the Bumblebee primus bridge. In steam you can just add a launch prefix and the games you want will start on the nvidia GPU.

I had good experience with Asus laptops for Linux gaming, but I can't speak for the current generation. My early 2012 asus laptop with Intel + nvidia works great with Ubuntu.

My experience with Acer is that the build quality is very low, but again slightly outdated experience with them on my side.
Bernardo Mar 18, 2015
Your post confirms my choice : I will probably get an Asus G751JY, I'm just waiting for a good deal. I've found a nice blog that will probably be helpful : https://g751jy.wordpress.com/ .
Julius Mar 19, 2015
Well, personally I don't see the point in quasi desktop 17" laptops and would rather build myself a steamos box and buy a small Intel only laptop for the same price, but that's your choice.
Make sure you get a recent distribution (wait of Ubuntu 15.04 or anything based on that like the upcoming kubintu or Linux mint releases) as the GPU is only supported by very recent nvidia drivers and these can be a bit of a hassle to install on older distribution like the last Ubuntu LTS release or Debian.
Segata Sanshiro Mar 20, 2015
Personally, from my experience with laptops (which goes back a long way and is a very, very unhappy one), I would suggest that it is much better value for money getting a cheap low-end laptop (mid-range if you intend to do more than simple tasks) and then a decent gaming desktop.

For the £1500 you spend on a laptop, you could get an amazing gaming rig for £1000 with much, much better performance than the laptop, and then also get a very solid laptop for £500. I still think the price-to-performance ratio isn't there yet for gaming laptops and won't be for a long time.

Just to give an example, I spent £400 on a laptop about 2 years ago (which broke a couple of months ago and is irreparable since the GPU is soldered to the CPU) and a year later spent £400 on a decent gaming PC which has easily 3x the gaming performance. I really regret not having spent £200 on the laptop (which I'd just use for browsing and work uni stuff) and spent the £200 I'd saved getting a more powerful GPU like the GTX 970.

I know that's not the kind of advice you're expecting and that it's probably pretty useless to you, but just giving my opinion nonetheless. If you're still going with the laptop though, I can recommend Novatech - they have a pretty good range of gaming laptops and they all come without Windows so you can save yourself a bit of money there. The people I know who bought from them have had good experiences and they have good customer service.
Bernardo Mar 21, 2015
Don't worry, reading one's advice is always interesting. Actually I already own a really decent desktop gaming computer, and never bought a gaming laptop before. But for professionnal reasons, I will spend most of my time away from home, and as a consequence away from my gaming desktop which is also the family's computer, during the next 2 years. So I'm looking for something that can be easily moved from one place to another. Moreover, if I buy a new desktop computer instead if a laptop, I will need an extra keyboard, screen and audio device, which will significantly increase the price.
I know it's an expensive choice, but in this specific situation it's not that crazy.

However I still have a few months before I buy it, so I'm still interested in any kind of advice. I will have a look at Novatech products, customer service quality is essential to me.

Julius > good to know that.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.