Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
E3 2015
Eyjafjallajökull Jun 20, 2015
Hello Gaming On Linux.

I saw on E3 that Square Enix will make remake of Final Fantasy VII, man I hope that after the ps4 release that they will jump on board with Valve and make Steam OS version of this game ^_^, and in the future that we will be able to enjoy Final Fantasy series on Linux as well :S:

So what are your thought about Square Enix will jump on board with Linux in the future Gaming on Linux community ?
Liam Dawe Jun 20, 2015
It will probably never happen, as sad as that is.
Keizgon Jun 21, 2015
Expect little from Japanese studios. Even the indie ones.

So far I've only counted (based on publisher) two four from Nyu Media (I believe they are actively trying to provide tools) and some from Mangagamer (seems to be mostly adult oriented and aren't on Steam). There are some other ones, but it's difficult to discern which are actually Japanese (opposed to influences) without some heavy digging. For example, I didn't know La Mulana and Cavestory were Japanese indies. Though the port obviously isn't from them (which I'm okay with, but it definitely shows how much Linux is very new concept to them).

Then there are the two Kickstarter miracles that we have yet to officially try out upon future release. Mighty No 9 and Bloodstained. Probably the closest we're going to get for now as far as big budget Japanese developers go.

Maybe in the future. Unless there is things happening behind the curtains (believe it when I see it).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.