Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Witcher 3 coming to Linux :o ?
Page: «5/11»
  Go to:
Shmerl Dec 14, 2015
Quoting: ricki42I wouldn't be surprised if they released some sort of smaller spin-off on mobile or PC.

They already released the Witcher adventure game (which uses Unity). And they have a few developers focusing on that. So far however it didn't come out for Linux.
Shmerl Dec 14, 2015
Quoting: Avehicle7887Good find Shmerl, you must be really looking forward to play this game. If these people are behind the Linux port then chances are we'll be getting a solid one.

I'm very positive that they will release a good port.

The main part here is if :) So far we don't know who exactly is working on the Linux version of their engine and TW3 in particular, and whether it's even in-house or not.
Shmerl Dec 17, 2015
There was a major leak recently, and full blown version of REDkit was released (version from February). So far those who poked around in it said they didn't notice anything about OpenGL / GLSL support.
tuubi Dec 17, 2015
Quoting: ShmerlThere was a major leak recently, and full blown version of REDkit was released (version from February). So far those who poked around in it said they didn't notice anything about OpenGL / GLSL support.
Might mean something, or not. Wouldn't be surprised if the work hadn't even started at that point. Or if the Linux port was/is being done separately from the main project, to be merged in later. Of course, in case the port was outsourced to a third party, the Linux stuff for W3 might never end up in the REDkit proper.

Was there evidence of any other graphics API's besides D3D at all? I mean it was released for PS4 as well.
Shmerl Dec 17, 2015
Quoting: tuubiMight mean something, or not. Wouldn't be surprised if the work hadn't even started at that point
Indeed, it can be an early version.

Quoting: tuubiWas there evidence of any other graphics API's besides D3D at all? I mean it was released for PS4 as well.
I can ask, though paranoid moderators banned me on that forum because I mentioned that REDkit release is a prerequisite of REDengine release itself, so any sings of Linux support in REDkit could hint to Linux support in the engine (essentially REDkit is their editor that developers use themselves, same idea as let's say Unity editor and the like). That information was publicly stated by CDPR here:

QuoteReleasing an open beta version of REDkit and extending support to the modding community as a preliminary step towards licensing REDengine.

But moderators got freaked out by this info for some reason. They don't work for CDPR btw, and there is rampant overmoderation on that forum, so I'm not even surprised. I can ask about PS4 APIs support once the ban is over.
tuubi Dec 17, 2015
Quoting: ShmerlBut moderators got freaked out by this info for some reason. They don't work for CDPR btw, and there is rampant overmoderation on that forum, so I'm not even surprised.
Weird...

Quoting: ShmerlI can ask about PS4 APIs support once the ban is over.
That's okay. I just thought that if the graphics engine has a properly layered design (pretty much a given for serious cross-platform stuff), some of the platform-specific backends might not be included in the codebase that was leaked. An obvious lack of anything non-Windows/D3D would suggest that this might be the case.
Shmerl Jan 31, 2016
Is anyone going to GDC 2016? You'll have a chance to ask lead REDengine programmer Balázs Török if he is involved in development of the Linux version of TW3 and REDengine in any way. He'll be giving a talk about development of the Witcher 3:

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/here-be-dragons-or-lessons-learned-in-the-development-of-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt
cRaZy-bisCuiT Feb 27, 2016
CD project red answered to me, that there's currently no linux version to be announced. What's wrong with them? >.<
wvstolzing Feb 27, 2016
Quoting: cRaZy-bisCuiTCD project red answered to me, that there's currently no linux version to be announced. What's wrong with them? &gt;.&lt;

There's nothing wrong with them. What's 'wrong' is that Valve listed the game in its 'SteamOS launch discount' or whatever it was, a year ago. It was nothing more than false advertising for their steam machines.
Shmerl Feb 28, 2016
Quoting: cRaZy-bisCuiTCD project red answered to me, that there's currently no linux version to be announced. What's wrong with them? &gt;.&lt;
Key word is currently. It doesn't mean they aren't still working on it. Whom did you get that answer from by the way?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.