Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
XBox 360 or XBox One controller for Steam?
micmon Aug 19, 2015
Hello,

I currently use a 360 controller with Steam and really like how it just works out of the box, however it is slowly beginning to show its age and I will soon need to replace it. Does it make sense to buy another 360 controller or would you take the One controller instead? According to changelogs it should be supported (even with vibration feature) in kernel 4.1+ but I wonder how it works with Steam as I noticed some games which specifically ask for a 360 controller.

Cheers
Michael
tuxisagamer Aug 19, 2015
There are A LOT of games that ask specificly for a 360 controller. I'm not sure how well they would work with the One controller.
slaapliedje Aug 20, 2015
How well does the PS4 controller work with Linux? I have two 360 controllers, and two PS4 controllers I could use, but I'm starting to prefer the feel of the PS4 controllers. Then again I have a Steam Controller pre-ordered too. I need to find more games to play with the Logitech G27 and Saitek x52 Pro that I have as well.

slaapliedje
Julius Aug 21, 2015
If the PS3 controller is any indication, that I suspect that sticking to the Xbox360 over the ps4 is the much better idea.

If there any advantage of the Xbox One controller over the 360 one though? Seems to me like the same thing, but probably with a less stable support.
Julius Oct 26, 2015
For future reference:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/10/23/no-the-xbox-one-wireless-adapter-doesnt-work-with-steam-machines-or-steam-link/

(Microsoft has build in a limitation in the wireless dongle that it only works with Windows10 right now)

Edit: in a recent video someone tried the PS4 controller, and that one (surprisingly) worked out of the box on Linux. Have not tried it myself, but I guess my above statement was wrong.

Edit2: my fake chinese USB cable Xbox360 controller works great on Linux with Steam ;)
GustyGhost Oct 27, 2015
Linux users are so big on freedom yet so many purchase controllers supporting the antithesis of freedom in gaming: consoles. Why? Just get a generic PC gamepad by Logitech or whatever. They work well enough.
tuubi Oct 27, 2015
I get the feeling that many of us make our hardware and software choices based mostly on practical rather than ideological issues. You buy whatever (you think) does the job best. That said, I've been perfectly happy with my Logitech F310. It works out of the box in pretty much anything that supports an XBox 360 controller. And it's cheaper. ;)

Anyhoo, I don't think Sony and MS make that much of a profit on their console hardware. It's all about getting the hardware out to as many players as possible and then selling games at ridiculous prices. With whatever service fees you need to pay monthly to play online, if that's still a thing. At least that's how console business used to work.
psppwner300 Nov 4, 2015
Get a new 360 controller. I don't think the newer model Xbone controller is supported in the kernel. Additionally, it might break on you sooner than you expect (read my complaint on Reddit if you want more info).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.