Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Batman: Arkham City
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
wojtek88 Jan 23, 2016
Hi Guys,
first of all details of my rig: NVidia 540m gt, i5 2410m@ 2.30GHz, 10GB RAM, Ubuntu 15.04.
And here is the problem - I was trying to install Batman: Arkham City on different versions of Wine, all taken from WineHQ DB marked as gold:
WineDB - Batman: Arkham City

I am using PlayOnLinux, trying different versions of Wine with listed components, but almost everytime result is the same - Steam is installed, game is downloaded and while trying to run it - few errors are presented, game seems to launch but screen is black and only sound is there.

So the question to you guys - did anyone managed to run the game and actually play it?

P.S. I remember @dubigrasu had it on his movie with games running through wine on SteamOS but did not recall which components are installed on his wine prefix, maybe @mrdeathjr you can advise?
mrdeathjr Jan 23, 2016
Hi

In my case use desktop hardware for this reason suggest verify if indeed nvidia graphics stay used for default (nvidia settings allow decide which adapter is used)

Back to installation and others issues, in batman series is important dont install mono, this is very usefull when you need install net framework (in batman series net 3.5 is required)

For this purpose i recommend use winetricks (more easily compared with manual installation)

When game open in steam for first time install directx, physx* and others (if try install again net, cancel this installation if you have installed net with winetricks)

*However in my case i have installed in wine before begins steam in wine: directx jun2010, openal, physx, physx legacy, internet explorer 7, windows media player 10, windows media format 7, 9 and 11, xna 3.1, xna 4.0, visual c++ redist 2005 sp1, 2008 sp1, 2010 sp1, eax, lav filters 0.67

^_^
s8as8a Jan 23, 2016
I got Arkham City maxed and running perfectly smoothly on my AMD Radeon HD 6970, using the open-source radeon driver, with Wine 1.8 (from the Debian testing/stretch branch repository) (at least in the challenge maps - I have yet to play the campaign on Linux).

One "problem" (if you want to call it that) is that the game launches minimized, and I have to click the window icon, but that's a really minor issue.

The bigger issue for me (which I will deal with later, but if anyone reading this has some advice, I would welcome it) is that my Xbox 360 controller doesn't work with it (but it does work for native Linux games).

I'm using Debian GNU/Linux amd64 jessie/stable with some parts of testing/stretch (via apt-pinning). The GPU driver is fully from jessie/stable, but I got Wine (1.8) and some other packages that are irrelevant to the running of this game from stretch/testing.

I don't remember exactly what I did, if anything "fancy", but I installed steam using winetricks (apt-get install winetricks) by using the command "winetricks steam" (without the quotes), and I probably also used a command like "winetricks dotnet35" (without the quotes) to install version 3.5 of the .NET Framework.

If I remember correctly, I couldn't get the game to run in Wine 1.6.

My relevant specs are:
CPU: Intel i5-4460
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6970
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz (but, dmidecode -t 17 says Speed: 1600 MHz and Configured Clock Speed: 1333 MHz - if someone knows what this means and why it is the case, please let me know, because if it means that my RAM is running slower than it should, I don't understand why)
USB 2.0 5400 RPM HDD

Edit:
Based on what I tested, I'd rate this game "Platinum" for how well it runs in Wine (at least on my setup).
wojtek88 Jan 24, 2016
Quoting: s8as8aThe bigger issue for me (which I will deal with later, but if anyone reading this has some advice, I would welcome it) is that my Xbox 360 controller doesn't work with it (but it does work for native Linux games).
Controller support is kind of must for me. I remember @dubigrasu had x360 controller configured on his prefix. @mrdeathjr does controller support work on your prefix?
mrdeathjr Jan 24, 2016
Quoting: wojtek88
Quoting: s8as8aThe bigger issue for me (which I will deal with later, but if anyone reading this has some advice, I would welcome it) is that my Xbox 360 controller doesn't work with it (but it does work for native Linux games).

Controller support is kind of must for me.

I remember @dubigrasu had x360 controller configured on his prefix. @mrdeathjr does controller support work on your prefix?

This is only thing dont can help you

Because i use only keyboard and mouse for play
wojtek88 Jan 25, 2016
Quoting: mrdeathjri use only keyboard and mouse for play
:O And you don't sit on the couch while playing? That's horrible! :)
Anyway, I will give Batman yet another go and will keep you posted.
mrdeathjr Jan 25, 2016
Quoting: wojtek88
Quoting: mrdeathjri use only keyboard and mouse for play
:O And you don't sit on the couch while playing? That's horrible! :)
Anyway, I will give Batman yet another go and will keep you posted.

Normally will be dificult but more like keyboard (more precision than controller however requires time to dominate but in my case dont have this problem because i played around since 97 with keyboard however and begins is difficult)

Only use controls in console (PSX or Wii) both good consoles

^_^
s8as8a Jan 26, 2016
I use whichever input scheme is best for the game I'd like to play.

For Batman: Arkham City, I believe that that is the Xbox 360 controller (even though I game at my computer desk, and not from a couch) (and the fact that I have yet to get the Xbox 360 controller working with Wine is the reason why I have yet to play this game's campaign in Linux).

I have yet to try it, but I think the answer of the user named "Takkat" in the following link might be what we need.:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/165210/how-do-i-get-an-xbox-360-controller-working

If you end up following what Takkat says, please let me know if it works. :)
wojtek88 Jan 26, 2016
Quoting: s8as8aI use whichever input scheme is best for the game I'd like to play.

For Batman: Arkham City, I believe that that is the Xbox 360 controller (even though I game at my computer desk, and not from a couch) (and the fact that I have yet to get the Xbox 360 controller working with Wine is the reason why I have yet to play this game's campaign in Linux).

I have yet to try it, but I think the answer of the user named "Takkat" in the following link might be what we need.:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/165210/how-do-i-get-an-xbox-360-controller-working

If you end up following what Takkat says, please let me know if it works. :)
Just to clarify I use Dualshock 4, but whenever xbox360 controller support works it is very possible that it will be easy to use x360ce to map gamepad keys. However, I'm going to do the whole process on weekend, because I don't have time currently, if I'll manage to achieve any success I will post my results here.
Magamo Feb 2, 2016
I've run Arkham Asylum, City and Origins quite successfully under Wine with only really installing .net, and x360ce for using my Dualshock 4. For x360ce, make certain to set xinput1_3 as 'native,builtin' in winecfg, that's something of the key with x360ce.
wojtek88 Feb 6, 2016
Quoting: MagamoI've run Arkham Asylum, City and Origins quite successfully under Wine with only really installing .net, and x360ce for using my Dualshock 4. For x360ce, make certain to set xinput1_3 as 'native,builtin' in winecfg, that's something of the key with x360ce.
I gave Batman: AC yet another try and followed advises from @mrdeathjr and @s8as8a but yet again ended with only sound in background without being able to see anything. With Batman: Arkham Knight being cancelled on LInux I don't have any more power to run this title. Thanks everyone for the support, but I won't do anything more with this title I guess.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.