Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Batman: Arkham City
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
wojtek88 Sep 9, 2018
Yet another proof, why Proton is a game changer. Two and a half year ago I decided not to invest time in Batman Arkham City. After Proton was announced, I decided to go through my library and verify which games can be played.
Arkham City did not work OOTB, however Proton's issue tracker provided me a simple solution - go to winecfg, change OS to Win XP. Then long .NET installing and game started. It is even able to see my save from Windows created 4 years ago and uploaded to Steam cloud.
The only issue I have in Proton is related to not working mouse and keyboard at the same time, however this issue is addressed.
Anyway, Proton indeed is great!
lucifertdark Sep 9, 2018
If they can fix the .net problem it would be a huge dent in the number of games that don't work. Time to test that tip wojtek88 just mentioned. :D
wojtek88 Sep 9, 2018
Quoting: GuestI've already seen a ton of things that makes Proton great. Games like Rayman Origins and Dead Space work fully out of the box now with no dll overrides or winetricks or pol scripts or anything.
100% agreed.
Quoting: GuestLittle things like the waiting icon on Civ 4 being animated.
Sure, great as well.
Quoting: GuestFor me seeing that people are finding workarounds to fix even more games is great but it's the out of the box experience that's the real game changer.
Sure, but fingerpointing to issue and a possible workaround is a great starting point for everyone - for person, that wants to play a game and for Valve (as long as it is mentioned in issues tracker) as it suggests possible solution. I don't know if Valve is aiming to have per game fixes or are they aiming only generic fixes. For me both directions are fine, however of course generic fixes are better for all of us.
Quoting: GuestIf they can find a solution for .net problems and xact audio problems a ton more games will work out of the box. That's what they are really going for.
Install and play - that's what made Valve so successful with Steam.
Quoting: GuestHonestly, this is what I thought Steam for Linux was going to be when they got it off the ground a few years ago. As someone who has been trying out Linux for the last 15 years plus I never thought it would be so easy to play so many games before. It's almost to the point where if I install a game and it doesn't work I'm really disappointed lol.
In general I am little bit confused, as I have an impression that you say two different things here - one is that you expected Steam to be something that gives you OOTB experience, second is that you never thought it will be so easy to play so many games :D

Anyway, it is obvious that we all aim to have click & play experience offered by Steam. However, we're not there yet in many cases. I personally think, that as community, the more we test, the more workarounds we see, the more games we make work - it will be easier for Valve to provide OOTB experience. But of course you don't have to agree with me :)
lucifertdark Sep 9, 2018
Thanks for the tip on Batman Arkham City wojtek88, it worked perfectly, I now have another game up & running on my list. :D
lucifertdark Sep 9, 2018
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: lucifertdarkThanks for the tip on Batman Arkham City wojtek88, it worked perfectly, I now have another game up & running on my list. :D

Didn't mean to sound like I'm chastising anyone. Of course we have to test, I am testing them all. For me I'm going to just wait and see how long Valve will get updates pushed out, if others want to use workarounds that's great. I will probably get impatient myself and start using more myself.

QuoteIn general I am little bit confused, as I have an impression that you say two different things here - one is that you expected Steam to be something that gives you OOTB experience, second is that you never thought it will be so easy to play so many games.

I guess I should have said before Steam I would never have thought it would happen, then when Steam was getting a lot of hype about coming to linux I was thinking it would be more like what they're doing with proton now. Just had to wait a few more years it turned out.
Hey no worries, I didn't think I was being chastised, I'm not sure I'd call it impatience though, excitement perhaps, the way thing are right now it reminds me of the days when Steam was just starting on Windows & at the start there were a lot less games available than we have right now.
wojtek88 Sep 9, 2018
Quoting: lucifertdark
Quoting: lucifertdarkThanks for the tip on Batman Arkham City wojtek88, it worked perfectly, I now have another game up & running on my list. :D

Didn't mean to sound like I'm chastising anyone. Of course we have to test, I am testing them all. For me I'm going to just wait and see how long Valve will get updates pushed out, if others want to use workarounds that's great. I will probably get impatient myself and start using more myself.

QuoteIn general I am little bit confused, as I have an impression that you say two different things here - one is that you expected Steam to be something that gives you OOTB experience, second is that you never thought it will be so easy to play so many games.

I guess I should have said before Steam I would never have thought it would happen, then when Steam was getting a lot of hype about coming to linux I was thinking it would be more like what they're doing with proton now. Just had to wait a few more years it turned out.
Hey no worries, I didn't think I was being chastised, I'm not sure I'd call it impatience though, excitement perhaps, the way thing are right now it reminds me of the days when Steam was just starting on Windows & at the start there were a lot less games available than we have right now.

Lol, I actually meant to quote wojtek88. Not my day apparently.
Apparently not the best, but don't worry - no hard feelings here as well :)
lucifertdark Sep 9, 2018
Quoting: GuestLol, I actually meant to quote wojtek88. Not my day apparently.
I can relate to those types of days. ;)
lucifertdark Sep 23, 2018
Quoting: GuestChanging the prefix to xp also fixes Enslaved Odyssey to the West. The .net install takes ages but it will eventually get done and the game will start and runs perfectly. You do have to kill the process after you are done playing though.
I'm just waiting for Enslaved to work it's .net magic then I'm going to try to get Arkham Asylum working, I have the inkling of a plan that might do the job. fingers crossed on Enslaved first though.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.