Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Meraco, golden god of the trolls
Segata Sanshiro Apr 4, 2016
We've seen our fair share of those who take it upon themselves to scour the Steam forums, posting on every Linux thread. It's a bit of an annoyance, but this new one Meraco takes the trophy:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198062440797/posthistory/

No doubt anyone subscribed to a "port to Linux" thread to get updates on the status of certain games will have seen his posts. Those subscribed to more than one will probably have been flooded by comments when opening Steam these last couple of days.

I personally suggest doing as he says, abandoning Linux gaming as futile and adopting him as our new deity. This can be done simply by responding to his long, overdrawn and prophetic posts with "hail meraco!". Overwhelmed by the shear number of followers, he may well retire and find a new cause.

EDIT: Also as an offering, perhaps consider flagging the posts.
Liam Dawe Apr 4, 2016
I have been flagging them myself, as they are basically spam. Same message, across multiple forums.

We had a chat about it in the IRC earlier as well.
Samsai Apr 4, 2016
No reason to pay them any attention. Trolls are trolls and trolls are best dealt with by not taking the bait.
BlackBloodRum Apr 4, 2016
Come on guys, are we not used to this yet? They can troll all they like, it won't stop us. We are Linux users, for years we have been the weird guys being trolled for using a penguin instead of a broken window. You should be used to it by now :-).
Liam Dawe Apr 6, 2016
WarnerBros official moderator Laptop65 is worse.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/234140/discussions/0/412446292752642418/?tscn=1459896193#c371918937280656830

He derails every Linux topic i've seen him in, then deletes threads, then locks it.
BlackBloodRum Apr 6, 2016
I wonder what happens if you report a moderator? Will he see the report, or someone else?
Liam Dawe Apr 6, 2016
Quoting: BlackBloodRumI wonder what happens if you report a moderator? Will he see the report, or someone else?
I imagine he will still be able to see it, but worth a shot.

A user has complained about them publicly now: http://steamcommunity.com/app/234140/discussions/0/371918937283131319/
I'm betting that thread will disappear :-).
Liam Dawe Apr 6, 2016
Quoting: BlackBloodRumI'm betting that thread will disappear :-).
Yep, they banned the user too.
Wow they got banned from Steam for that? Harsh. What happens to their games now? Do they get refunded?
tuubi Apr 6, 2016
Quoting: BlackBloodRumWow they got banned from Steam for that? Harsh. What happens to their games now? Do they get refunded?
Simple moderators don't have that kind of power. The ban was only from the Mad Max discussions on Steam forums.

If Feral is indeed doing the port, they might have some contacts at WB or Avalanche who'd take issue with their employee(?) acting like this towards potential customers. A moderator's job is to moderate, not to enforce his rather fanboyish opinion.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.