Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Gallium Nine with AMDGPU Pro Hybrid Driver
m0nt3 Jun 2, 2016
Has anyone tested this to see if it works? Would appreciate any insight.
pete910 Jun 3, 2016
See here http://www.gearsongallium.com/

Pontostroy has done lots of testing
Julius Jun 4, 2016
@pete910: that doesn't answer the question at all :p

I (as a Nvidia user eying to get a Polaris card) had the same question and based on feedback I got on the Phoronix forum it isn't even a valid question as AMDGPU-Pro and Gallium-Nine are completely different things.

My current understanding (and that might be wrong, as I am no AMD user):

There is a common kernel component of the open-source driver and the "pro" one, but on the user space part these are totally separate and the DX9 state tracker gallium-nine is a part of the open-source user-space driver and can not be made to work with the "pro" driver.

So it seems like you can either have better OpenGL/vulkan performance with the "pro" driver, or dx9-wine support with the fully open-source one, but not both the same time. There also seems to be no quick way of switching user-space drivers... and even if there were I assume it would be a similar mess as with Nvidia-optimus (i.e. you have to log-out to switch drivers).
Liothe Jun 4, 2016
Gallium Nine requires Gallium which is part of MESA. amdgpu-pro doesn't use Gallium. As it stands today, I don't think gallium nine would work
TheRiddick Jun 4, 2016
I have the PRO drivers installed on kernel4.6 Ubuntu 16.04, but haven't got around to trying WINE yet (kinda a pain to setup and install stuff). I will get around to it, the first thing I'd probably try is Skyrim.

AMD R9 390X btw.
m0nt3 Jun 5, 2016
Quoting: Julius@pete910: that doesn't answer the question at all :p

I (as a Nvidia user eying to get a Polaris card) had the same question and based on feedback I got on the Phoronix forum it isn't even a valid question as AMDGPU-Pro and Gallium-Nine are completely different things.

There is a common kernel component of the open-source driver and the "pro" one, but on the user space part these are totally separate and the DX9 state tracker gallium-nine is a part of the open-source user-space driver and can not be made to work with the "pro" driver.

So it seems like you can either have better OpenGL/vulkan performance with the "pro" driver, or dx9-wine support with the fully open-source one, but not both the same time. There also seems to be no quick way of switching user-space drivers... and even if there were I assume it would be a similar mess as with Nvidia-optimus (i.e. you have to log-out to switch drivers).

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Being a hybrid driver I was unsure. I have not been able to get the newest AMDGPU Pro driver working in Arch yet. When I tried it on ubuntu, it only worked through my HDMI port with DVI it would just freeze after login.
lejimster Jun 5, 2016
Quoting: Julius@pete910: that doesn't answer the question at all :p

AMD did say they intend to open source their Vulkan driver down the line. Hopefully it won't be too far off as I would prefer to stay with mesa+gallium-nine while benefiting from the latest technology.

The way I see it the open source drivers are going to offer better compatibility and performance for older titles as they continue to mature, whereas the AMD pro drivers were never that great in OpenGL and they are going to shift the focus towards Vulkan.
m0nt3 Jun 7, 2016
Aside from not being able to use my DVI port with the AMDGPU Pro beta driver, most games played really well. The borderlands games, Bioshock Infinite, Warden, Withcher 2, and Talos. While using my nVidia 660Ti I would have to set launch options for most of those games to improve performance or not have graphical glitches. There were a few games that did not do so well, like Shadow Warrior and CoH 2 struggled.
TheRiddick Jun 23, 2016
Got Skyrim at 4k@60fps working. I had to use ENB in speedhack mode without effects to achieve stable play with the 50 or so mods I have installed. In fact some areas will dip down to 30fps so I'm not being totally honest about its performance, most the time its around 60fps.

The Pro beta2 drivers work well with many games except a few which is due to BAD ports and those games generally run bad on NVIDIA hardware as well. (ie. CompanyOfHeroes2, Dying Light, Inter..Marines, Savage Lands) The last two are small indie games however.

To my surprise Shadow Of Mordor runs REALLY good with the drivers.

We really need DX11 for Wine! sigh...
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.