Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Anyone playing WoW through Wine/POL?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Mora Jul 30, 2016
Hey all, is anyone running World of Warcraft at the moment?

I had it installed a few years back & running fine, but haven't played for a while, so don't have it on Linux currently.

Just wondering if there are any game breaking bugs with the new updates before I download it. I don't have Wine installed currently, as I prefer buying natively supported titles, but switching into windows for 1 game is kind of annoying.
Pattedetable Aug 2, 2016
The new version of Battle.net requires vcrun2015. I could not find it in PlayOnLinux last time I checked (the latest version available was 2013) but it is available through winetricks. I am using wine 1.9.14 and Battle.net works like a charm. For WoW, it worked fine about two months ago with the latest wine available at the time, that much I can say. I have not tested it since though :/ I use Battle.net for Hearthstone these days.
wolfyrion Aug 3, 2016
1. On playonLinux you have to use wine 1.8 versions any 1.9 version will not work , I use Wine 1.8-Staging

2. You have to go to wine Tab and configure Wine -> Libraries --> DLL Overrides and add these Libraries

api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0
api-ms-win-crt-stdio-l1-1-0
api-ms-win-crt-convert-l1-1-0
api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0
api-ms-win-crt-locale-l1-1-0
api-ms-win-crt-time-l1-1-0

(it took me 2 days to find a solution for that :'( )

Hopefully it will work for you as well ..

Have fun :D
Mora Aug 5, 2016
Thanks for the responses.

I tried with POL, but kept getting stuck at 'connecting'. I ended up getting it working by installing wine 1.9.15 & winetricks- added vcrun2015 & away it went.

Performance isn't great, I get around 40fps with settings maxed out in 4k, which I could live with, the game is not really playable though, as once combat starts, fps drops to 15-20 & stutters very badly.

So far i've tried:
Changed the Config.wtf to use OpenGL & turned off a few effects, but its a little slower than dx9 & adds some odd flickering textures here & there.

Dropping resolution doesn't change performance.

Dropping all settings to 'low' gives me just under 60fps, but combat still drops it to 15-20. CPU & GPU utilisation is at around 25% in or out of combat. All 8 threads are active.

In windows I usually run with vsync on at 60fps with no stuttering, so I'll keep playing around with it to see if I can get it running better.
Mora Aug 6, 2016
Looks like a few addons may have been causing issues. I disabled then all & slowly added the ones I use back in. I get a fairly steady 60fps now, drops occasionally into the 40s, but no crazy stuttering now :)
Pattedetable Aug 6, 2016
Glad you could get it to work :)
[email protected] Aug 6, 2016
I simply stopped playing Blizzard games. Company uses Linux extensively in house but give nothing back to the community.
Grimfist Sep 6, 2016
Was trying to get the latest version to run on my Ubuntu lately, but with no luck so far. Battle.net launcher just crashes. But I don't have vcrun2015 installed so maybe this fixes it. Thanks for the heads up on this, will try it.
nox Sep 6, 2016
I've had great luck with battlenet and WoW on the newest wine staging. I didn't need to add any manual overrides, just had to install vcrun2015 and a couple of other packages.

I'll see if I can write them all down when I get home :)

EDIT: Supposedly with the newest version of wine you only need corefonts and msvcp140.
Make sure you have lib32-libldap installed on your system or else battle.net goes sad!

EDIT2: I recommend using the DirectX renderer (can be chosen in-game) as it is far less glitchy than the opengl one.
MaCroX95 Sep 7, 2016
Quoting: [email protected]I simply stopped playing Blizzard games. Company uses Linux extensively in house but give nothing back to the community.

I completely agree with you. If I pay a hundred dollars for HS I want to be free on whether I use free or proprietary operating system. I also bought first two expansions of the Starcraft 2 when I was on windows. I've been running linux for 2 years now and since Blizzard ignores users who don't like to be jailed in closed environment like Windows and choose to go away their response is that if you want to enjoy your bought content you also have to pay for the new windows versions when MS ends support for old ones. Their tactics is wrong and in this regard I only embrace Valve and their cross-platform efforts, I don't mind buying games, I just like to have freedom of choice on which OS I choose.

It is not "kind thing" from Blizzard to support their users who decide to swtich. It is their duty, since we all bought content from them :)

That's why I am never spending a penny on Blizzard's content again. I suggest the same thing to all linux gamers since the future will hold only problems with wine compatibility and their updates :)
nox Sep 9, 2016
Quoting: GuestI skip battle net altogether right now, and just launch wow.exe from POL. works flawlessly.
Oh yeah, sadly it's still needed for patching :/
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.