You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Anyone playing WoW through Wine/POL?
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Grimfist Sep 27, 2016
Ok, so now I had some spare time to tinker around, and thought to give this topic another try. I use PlayonLinux to manage my wine prefixes and software, sadly PlayonLinux still has no vcrun2015 package available. So I resorted to install it via winetricks, which also manages all the necessary dll-overrides in the wine prefix for battle.net. After that only mscorefonts were needed, installed that via apt. I use wine 1.9.17 for the whole prefix, including all games. Then battle.net client runs without problems (well the bug that menus only get visible when you hover over them is still present), Hearthstone, WoW and Diablo 3 run all well, but with obviously much less performance compared to Windows but still enough to be pleasant.

TL;DR:
- Install Playonlinux via apt
- Install mscorefonts via apt
- Install battle.net via PlayonLinux in a separate wine prefix
- Install vcrun2015 via winetricks into that specific battle.net prefix (as described here https://www.playonlinux.com/de/topic-14652.html )
- Run battle.net, install games, enjoy! :D
slavezeo Sep 27, 2016
I current play WoW on Fedora via WINE-Staging 0.9.18 with no real issues. Installation was exactly as Grimfist described it. WoW runs ok in direct3d 9 mode, not as nice as native Windows (at least as far as I remember, it's been a while) but is still very playable. The OpenGL renderer is borked beyond belief so I recommend against it. It's about as good as my wife's hackintosh (although frame rate varies up and down more on mine) with similar specs as my Linux box. I do have to turn the View Distance to about 5 or 6 but everything else is on 10's settings.

The main character I play is on Moon Guard (I know, don't laugh) and is named Moreissey (Alliance). My other main guy is Horde on Thrall, he is also named Moreissey. Hit me up sometime. I have crappy gear, no ambition, but I'm pretty talkative.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.