Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
I need help creating a script that ignores the libraries moaning of steam (when using open drivers)
Daifuco Aug 11, 2016
As you might know steam has some runtime issues when using non supported video drivers, like the open source.
The arch page explains it. And give a solution, via CLI to run steam while dodging the problem, this even works with game with their own packed trouble-making libraries.

It works well but I would like to make a script and then create a icon so I can run Steam like everyone else.
The arch page explains it but it is not very clear and I dont understand how. (the append a $@ bit sounds very obscure to me)
here are the lines...

QuoteDynamic linker
The dynamic linker (see ld.so(8)) can be used to force Steam to load the up-to-date system libraries via the LD_PRELOAD environment variable. For example:
LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so' /usr/bin/steam
Note: The $LIB above is not a variable, but a directive to the linker to pick the appropriate architecture for the library. The single quotes are required to prevent the shell from treating $LIB as a variable.
Tip: You can put this command in a wrapper script such as /usr/local/bin/steam-preload, appending "$@" to preserve command-line arguments. This script can be referred to in a desktop file, for example through Exec=/usr/local/bin/steam-preload %U.

I am more of a linux user than a linux master so I dont really understand how to make the script...

I hope you can help.
manero666 Aug 12, 2016
I wrote a post on my blog that should fix your issue

libstdc++.so.6 and libgpg-error.so.* create the problem and prevent steam to launch, also mind that some games (Unity) don't start unless you rename/remove the 64-bit libstdc++ too
Daifuco Aug 26, 2016
thanks stan and manero I have been away for a while!!! Much appreciated!!!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.