Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Shadow of Mordor lags terribly... how can I fix or upgrade my system?
Purple Pudding Sep 4, 2016
Hi, all

I posted the problem on the Telegram Group but it went lost... so I decided to ask in the correct place.

I just bought Shadow of Mordor on Steam, I checked if I could run it and I thoght that my laptop just fit in the Minimium Requirements.

Needless to say that running it it's quite like a nightmare: it's start smooth and ok, than an huge lag happens during the cutscenes (with sound repetition, like a broken cd... "earth" --> "ea-ea-ea..." ) and then lag starts to appear (especially in the cutscenes, rarely in gameplay) ruining the game...

I left the game set the video settings automatically, and it's everything quite low...

My system is an Acer Aspire M3-581TG with:
+ Intel core i5,
+ nvidia geoforce GT640M (1 GB; proprietary driver version according to steam 4.5.0 NVIDIA 361.42),
+ 4 GB of RAM (steam says 3786 MB),
+ ubuntu GNOME 16.04.1 LTS

Are there any software to fix the problem?
Or I should upgrade my system? Which components do you suggest to change and with what?
Or you suggest to simply build a more powerful desktop or buy a more powerful laptop?

Thanks for your support and answers,
(and especially thanks to Feral for the port and liam, samsai, the staff and the community for GOL),

PP
MaCroX95 Sep 4, 2016
Hey,

Firstly, your computer does not meet the minimum system requirements for the game, Nvidia GT640 and GT640M (mobile version) have effective performance difference for around 32% in favour of desktop version.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-GT-640M-vs-Nvidia-GeForce-GT-640/m8030vsm7731

Secondly Intel core i5 doesn't mean anything since you didnt tell the exact model to check if it might be the bottleneck because the game is open world and requires a lot of processing power :)

Also I have a laptop Asus N76V with Intel i7-3610QM with gt650m. Processor is great but this graphics card turned out to be so bad for gaming that I wouldn't even try to run such high-end game on my hardware, it uses the old architecture and the performance is terrible even in some of the titles where it shouldn't be. I don't use this laptop for gaming sadly, eventhough I would like to sometimes when on the go.

However on my GTX970 desktop the game had few frame drops and what helped is putting my Nvidia OpenGL settings to performance mode, set the power consumption mode to "prefer maximum performance" and ultimately set the niceness (priority) of a process to very high, which allows me to get around stable 60FPS on Very High settings.

You should consider these settings on your desktop and put everything in game to lowest possible settings to see what you get! I wish you the best of luck with getting the game to work properly on that hardware but don't expect too much :)

Best regards!
MaCroX95
MaCroX95 Sep 4, 2016
Quoting: GuestCheck CPU, GPU and RAM/swap usage and you will know what the problem is :).

What you describe sounds like the game might cause swap usage…

Yeah, might even be due to the thermal throttling since it starts up normally and then starts to lag horribly... it sounds like a common issue with my laptop when trying to run some games through wine :) firstly getting more than 60 fps and after few minutes of gameplay it starts dropping and becomes unplayable quickly (around 10fps)
darkszluf Sep 5, 2016
as others said you should upgrade, mobile gpu's are always a lot worse than the desktop counterparts.
Purple Pudding Sep 6, 2016
Thanks for the answers guys!

So, I see that is an Hardware problem :(
I think that the best thing for me is buy (build) a powerful Desktop and leave this laptop (that is in fact quite "old" (2012) for (gaming) computers standard today) for older or lighter games (all the others games I have on steam :D ).

I was planning to learn how to build a Destkop anyway, now I have one more reason to build one (next year)!

Thanks again and happy gaming to everyone!

PP
silverphil Sep 6, 2016
+Purple Pudding The GT 640M is good enough for Shadow of mordor on low settings.

Whoever says that a GT 650M is not good for linux gaming is plain wrong. It may not be ideal, but i CAN play Shadow of Mordor at 30fps low/med settings on 1366x768 and the framerate is quite consistent. Other games (PAYDAY 2, TF2, War Thunder, WoT + wine) are definitely playable, ok not smooth 60fps, but you get the point. For me playable is >=30 fps average and that is achievable on most(98%) games.

What you describe in your situation is definitely throttling that i have once experienced too. But i suggest you get more ram anyways (8GB is sufficient).

1. remove thermald. That is the main culprit that causes >85C cpu temp throttle. Without it it throttles at about 90C. My laptop likes to stay at about 87-88C so it really helped me. I noticed that since i moved from Ubuntu to Arch the throttling stopped and pinpointed it to that daemon

2. Put 'intel_pstate=disable' (no quotes) as kernel parameter

3. use indicator-cpufreq or cpupower to limit CPU clocks. I noticed that it helped a lot. For me Shadow of mordor is playable at 2Ghz (as opposed to 2.5 max)

4. https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/941511/linux/arch-linux-version-367-27-gt-650m-overheats-stays-at-950mhz-on-battery/
Follow the instructions there. Try turning on the card (if on bumblebee)* on battery, then open the game. It should disable turbo-boost as long as you keep the nvidia GPU open. However this doesnt work with the newest drivers (yet). It significantly reduces temps without any visible impact on performance for me.

All in all, your laptop isnt garbage, you can still use it before you get a desktop, even if it doesnt have the best cooling.
My specs:

Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5Ghz + Intel HD 4000
Nvidia Geforce Gt 650M 2GB
8GB ram
Arch Linux with KDE 5.7.4 and linux-lts

*IF not using bumblebee and using Ubuntu with the default drivers from the driver manager, try turning on your laptop on battery, then after it booted open nvidia-settings and THEN plug it in if you want
Mountain Man Sep 6, 2016
QuoteI thoght that my laptop just fit in the Minimium Requirements.
There's your problem. Laptops are poorly suited for gaming in general, especially when they barely meet the minimum requirements. There's not much you can do about it apart from getting a whole new system.
MaCroX95 Sep 7, 2016
Quoting: silverphil+Purple Pudding The GT 640M is good enough for Shadow of mordor on low settings.

Whoever says that a GT 650M is not good for linux gaming is plain wrong. It may not be ideal, but i CAN play Shadow of Mordor at 30fps low/med settings on 1366x768 and the framerate is quite consistent. Other games (PAYDAY 2, TF2, War Thunder, WoT + wine) are definitely playable, ok not smooth 60fps, but you get the point. For me playable is >=30 fps average and that is achievable on most(98%) games.

What you describe in your situation is definitely throttling that i have once experienced too. But i suggest you get more ram anyways (8GB is sufficient).

1. remove thermald. That is the main culprit that causes >85C cpu temp throttle. Without it it throttles at about 90C. My laptop likes to stay at about 87-88C so it really helped me. I noticed that since i moved from Ubuntu to Arch the throttling stopped and pinpointed it to that daemon

2. Put 'intel_pstate=disable' (no quotes) as kernel parameter

3. use indicator-cpufreq or cpupower to limit CPU clocks. I noticed that it helped a lot. For me Shadow of mordor is playable at 2Ghz (as opposed to 2.5 max)

4. https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/941511/linux/arch-linux-version-367-27-gt-650m-overheats-stays-at-950mhz-on-battery/
Follow the instructions there. Try turning on the card (if on bumblebee)* on battery, then open the game. It should disable turbo-boost as long as you keep the nvidia GPU open. However this doesnt work with the newest drivers (yet). It significantly reduces temps without any visible impact on performance for me.

All in all, your laptop isnt garbage, you can still use it before you get a desktop, even if it doesnt have the best cooling.
My specs:

Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5Ghz + Intel HD 4000
Nvidia Geforce Gt 650M 2GB
8GB ram
Arch Linux with KDE 5.7.4 and linux-lts

*IF not using bumblebee and using Ubuntu with the default drivers from the driver manager, try turning on your laptop on battery, then after it booted open nvidia-settings and THEN plug it in if you want

I definitely agree with you, noone said that his hardware is junk, I also have gt650m and these specs are great for handling a great amount of great titles! We are though speaking of Shadow of mordor here and if laptop cannot run this game at 60fps I just cannot blame it on it :D, it's really demanding game! He doesn't have to just enjoy his hardware until he buys a new laptop, he can enjoy it way further in the future with running great games that are not as demanding on the go! Great job on giving advice on how to maximize the performance and make our gaming more comfortable with laptops in linux, I really didn't know about that thermald thing :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.