Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Is fedora good for gaming
kalin Sep 14, 2016
I'm manjaro user for a long time but I search for more stable distro with good gnome experience. And I don't know for better gnome distro from fedora. Can you give your opinion. How easy is fedora setup and how hard are gpu drivers and kernel change. availability of software like steam and skype opensource drivers anything
m2mg2 Sep 14, 2016
Drivers can be problematic, you can use Negativo for NVidia. I'm gaming on Fedora 24 and can play pretty much all the big games out
kalin Sep 16, 2016
Thanks I read about issues with upgrading from version to version and lack of software. Is this true ?
m2mg2 Sep 16, 2016
Quoting: kalinThanks I read about issues with upgrading from version to version and lack of software. Is this true ?

I've had periodic issues with upgrades across distro's. Lack of what software, I haven't had issues getting anything in Fedora aside from having to track down the repository.
kalin Sep 19, 2016
Ok then I will give a try
Hamish Sep 21, 2016
Fedora as a policy does not hold back when it comes to new features and upstream changes, which causes problems with static binary blobs such as the Nvidia and AMD proprietary drivers. Fedora instead focuses on promoting and enriching the free software ecosystem instead.
tuubi Sep 22, 2016
Quoting: HamishFedora as a policy does not hold back when it comes to new features and upstream changes, which causes problems with static binary blobs such as the Nvidia and AMD proprietary drivers. Fedora instead focuses on promoting and enriching the free software ecosystem instead.
I thought fedora was basically a community testbed for Red Hat? Nothing wrong with that, but explains not holding back on features. I've never been comfortable actually using fedora, but they've sure been involved in a lot of great (and sometimes controversial) projects in the greater Linux ecosystem.
m2mg2 Sep 22, 2016
I haven't had a lot of problems with proprietary drivers. Usually use akmods for Nvidia, which get built automatically when the kernel gets upgraded. The only recent problems I've had were with third party repo stability, I used to be able to get pretty much everything from RPMFusion. Now I've got RPMFusion, Russian repo for Chromium with flash/Netflix support and Negativo for current NVidia drivers. Why RPMFusion is compiling such a limited version of Chromium and such an old version of Nvidia drivers I don't know. Granted I don't think it is necessarily a good intro distro for first time Linux users, but if you know your way around Linux it is awesome.
slavezeo Sep 27, 2016
Fedora user here. I'm really pleased with Fedora 24 for my gaming needs. There is not a lot of software I'm left wanting for. Though, developers usually target some random version of Ubuntu for their official packages.

Like everyone else, I use RPMFusion for the little extras including nVidia drivers. I've had good lick with their drivers. I also try not to mix repositories with similar packages. Negativo also has really nice nVidia drivers too. But I kinda like only having to install one repository for drivers. United RPMs also has some nice software not available from anywhere else, but most consider it a little risky to use their repository. I'm not sure why, but I've read it in quite a few forum posts. I use their repository to install certain packages but generally leave it disabled for updates.

As far as games go Steam works fine after installing steam.i686 from the RPMFusion repository. GOG titles generally work well when installed using their installers. Unreal Tournament 4 works great with the Linux build, if you have the muscle to run it. There is WINE for the occasional need of a Windows game. Fedora packages WINE-Staging with CSMT enabled for greater 3D performance. There are also a crap load of emulators available for the retro game fix. That is about all I game with under Fedora. Honestly, once set up it's not much different performance wise than most other Linux distros.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.