Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Bundlestars doesn't sell any linux steam key. At all.
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Nel Sep 20, 2016
As explained today by edddeduck_feral on a, now deleted, reddit topic: Bundlestars doesn't sell any linux steam key. Even if they advertise a linux game as they do today with the "XCOM: Enemy Unknown" sale, they do it only because of steam play, and Feral won't get any cent.

I originally thought it was only for "Shadow of Mordor", as stated in this article, because Bundlestars advertises it only for windows. But even if they write this or that game works on Linux, they sell a Windows key. And so your purchase will be registered as a Windows user, lowering Linux purchase rate while increasing Windows one.

So, even if edddeduck_feral is indulgent about this, no way I'll buy a single key on Bundlestars anymore.

Feral store is the only way to go.

I don't know how reddit deals with deleted topics, so here is the original discussion:

Quoting: edddeduck_feralAs people have sent me a few messages about this deal/post and asked if the keys register as Linux I thought I'd post here to clarify.

Bundlestars only sell Windows based keys, for our games they'll work for Mac & Linux users due to Steam play however the sale and revenue will contribute to Windows figures.

We love seeing people enjoy games we've worked on no matter the platform used to purchase it however we do appreciate how the community on Linux want to support the Linux publishers and developers on cross platform games.

I hope we can keep bringing you more and more games to play as a thank you for your support, feedback and encouragement . :-)

Quoting: NessInOnettCrap.. I didn't know that. Taking my post down. I know you said you don't mind where people buy from but now it just doesn't feel right. Thanks for posting that

Quoting: edddeduck_feralNo problem :-) as I said we don't mind where you get keys from but we love the fact that most of you do!

Long live Linux gaming!

http://imgur.com/a/wJxtG
Ehvis Sep 20, 2016
Thanks for the info. Just as most here, I think this matters.

I'd like to understand the mechanics of this though. Is this something special to Bundlestars, or would this apply tp other stores (like the Humble store) as well?
Nel Sep 20, 2016
As far as I know, only Steam and Humble Store make a difference between platforms.

IIRC even GOG doesn't register which platform you buy from. But it's less important since GOG doesn't report platform purchase to developpers. Unlike steam that reports wrong platform to devs (Windows keys or Android purchases).
MaCroX95 Sep 20, 2016
It would also be nice that people from Feral interactive make an article about that on what to do to support them as much as we can, if we support them more they will support us more, Feral and few other companies alongside with few individual porters make sure that Linux gaming community is growing. :) I would like to see some big studios that would at least look Linux equivalently as a platform and design their game from the ground up to work across multiple platforms, that would really lower their investment to support Linux and even if they don't support it they would make it easier for guys like Feral or similar companies to provide us with support!
Nel Sep 20, 2016
If you want to support them, go to their own store. They sell their own steam keys.
I don't know how they deal with platform distinction, but at least they get the largest part of your purchase than on any other store.

For Feral Interactive: Feral Store.
For Aspyr Media: GameAgent.
For Virtual Programming: Deliver2
Comandante Ñoñardo Sep 20, 2016
Quoting: NelAs far as I know, only Steam and Humble Store make a difference between platforms.

IIRC even GOG doesn't register which platform you buy from. But it's less important since GOG doesn't report platform purchase to developpers. Unlike steam that reports wrong platform to devs (Windows keys or Android purchases).

Gog indeed register which platform you buy from... everytime I buy a windows game on GOG, the checkout process tells me "1 (or more) game from your order is NOT compatible with your Linux."
sonic Sep 21, 2016
If you buy it on their store, you will support the developers directly, but your review will be count in "key activation" category IMHO. It is bad for companies which have their own store: Feral, Bohemia Interactive..

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/valve-have-made-some-big-changes-to-the-steam-reviews-system.8067
QuoteOne massive change, is that the review system will no longer include scores from people at the top of a store page (the Recent and Overall marks) who got their key from outside Steam.
manero666 Sep 21, 2016
well this sucks!
I use to buy a lot from Bundlestars, they have some great bundles, but now I'll definitely pay more attention before buying a ported game..
Liam Dawe Sep 21, 2016
Quoting: Comandante Ñoñardo
Quoting: NelAs far as I know, only Steam and Humble Store make a difference between platforms.

Gog indeed register which platform you buy from... everytime I buy a windows game on GOG, the checkout process tells me "1 (or more) game from your order is NOT compatible with your Linux."
That's simple to achieve by just checking your browsing session, it doesn't actually mean they note down what platform you're buying from when you purchase it.

I think GOG likely track downloads for each platform, but they never told me how they track anything when I asked.
Nel Sep 21, 2016
@Liam
I found a 1 year old reddit topic asking how GOG tracks platforms. Someone pretends he got an answer, saying they ckeck but do not keep track.
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/35dzrt/gog_linux_sales_statistics/
Also, looks like no one bothers to answer to your tweet.
https://twitter.com/gamingonlinux/status/597131181906391041

Another reddit post from Feral, 6 months ago.
Quoting: edddeduck_feralWhen buying a Steam key from non Valve locations then the Key you buy is the ONLY factor controlling the platform recorded as third party keys are generated with the platform/publisher ownership pre determined.

This means if you buy a Windows Steam key for a game from Amazon or Greenman gaming then it doesn't matter if you only activate it on Linux or Mac the key and revenue was predetermined and what you do once you get the key is immaterial to the stats.
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/49c1qc/a_chat_with_the_developer_of_quest_of_dungeons/d0r068h

It's pretty clear for me now. If I don't know how exactly a seller keeps track of platforms, I'll assume they will count me as a Windows purchase. So for now, I'll go for porter stores first, then Steam, Humble or GOG (yeah DRM-Free is important to me). No matter how huge is the discount.
Mountain Man Sep 21, 2016
Quoting: NelAs explained today by edddeduck_feral on a, now deleted, reddit topic: Bundlestars doesn't sell any linux steam key. Even if they advertise a linux game as they do today with the "XCOM: Enemy Unknown" sale, they do it only because of steam play, and Feral won't get any cent.
This is just one of many reasons why you should avoid key re-sellers. If you want to be sure that everything is on the up and up, either buy through Steam or directly from the developer.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.