Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Master of Orion does not work?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Kimyrielle Nov 5, 2016
I bought Master of Orion last weekend during a Steam sale (it's still on sale btw.!) It crashes to desktop after playing the intro movie, 100% of the time. If you start it from the command line it just displays "Aborted - Core dump". Very helpful. Not.

Anyone else can confirm this issue or even knows a workaround?

I am using Ubuntu 16.04 and Nvidia 367. Game patch level is 51.2
Liam Dawe Nov 5, 2016
I am able to get to the menu just fine, Ubuntu 16.10 64bit Nvidia 370.28.

Are you on 64bit or 32bit?

I would also try updating your Nvidia driver.
Kimyrielle Nov 5, 2016
I am on 64 bit. I tried the 370 driver as well, same result.
Liam Dawe Nov 5, 2016
Odd, what GPU? I take it other games are working fine?
Kimyrielle Nov 5, 2016
It's a GTX 960. And yes, other games are working just fine.
Nel Nov 5, 2016
Hey Kimyrielle, do you have pulseaudio installed? I ran into straight crash-to-desktop bug when I used only plain alsa with some games. It was mainly on Unity games though, don't know for Master of Orion.
Kimyrielle Nov 5, 2016
Yes, I do. It's a fairly standard Ubuntu installation for the most part, really. I don't get it.
Nel Nov 5, 2016
Well, with further research, it appears to be a Unity game. Let's try the usual fix.

If you live in France, Germany or any country with comma as a decimal separator you're exposed to wrong parsing float from Mono. There is a user workaround, you have to set "LANG=C %command%" without quote into Game Launch Options. It will temporally set your locale to C with dot as a decimal separator.

You can also find unity log here: ~/.config/unity3d/Wargaming/Master of Orion/
wolfyrion Nov 5, 2016
The bugs that this game has are endless!
To launch this game you need to have literally a degree from The Master Of Orion Bugs University
I am really surprised that there is a Linux user who can launch this game...
Really? I am like WOooOOOoooAaaa... is this really happening????

if you go to technical assistance discussion you can see the chaos of bugs/problems etc
http://steamcommunity.com/app/298050/discussions/1/

I dont know from where to start mentioning the bugs, there are so many,even the stars from our galaxy seems to be less than the bugs of this game... :><:
Kimyrielle Nov 6, 2016
Quoting: NelWell, with further research, it appears to be a Unity game. Let's try the usual fix.

If you live in France, Germany or any country with comma as a decimal separator you're exposed to wrong parsing float from Mono.

I am Canadian. We do use periods as decimal separators. Like the guys who made that game. Does this game object to maple syrup? :(
Kimyrielle Nov 6, 2016
Quoting: wolfyrionif you go to technical assistance discussion you can see the chaos of bugs/problems etc
http://steamcommunity.com/app/298050/discussions/1/

I dont know from where to start mentioning the bugs, there are so many,even the stars from our galaxy seems to be less than the bugs of this game... :><:

*sigh* I just looked at it. And I...sighed. A lot. Gosh, I was naive enough to assume a commercial game would actually run on the platforms it got advertised for. Silly me.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.