Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Petition: Aspyr, please port Civilization VI to Linux
Joeyboots80 Dec 29, 2016
I created a petition on change.org at the suggestion of a moderator on the Steam Civ VI forum. Please everyone sign it and show Aspyr your interest in a native Linux port of Civ VI.

Aspyr, please port Civilization VI to Linux

And here's a Steam thread I started about it if anyone wishes to discuss the petition there as well.

Steam thread for Civ VI Linux port petition

Thank you all for your time. :)

Update: Holy crap, wish I knew what can of worms I was opening. I want no part of any controversy, I thought I was doing a good thing. Looks like I may have been mistaken. I wish to rectify this. What do you guys think, and do you think I should scrap the petition? I have no desire to upset or insult anyone, I had no idea about prior events like the "blizzard incident" and I wish I had before doing this. So, do you all think I should remove it?
PublicNuisance Jan 1, 2017
Quoting: Joeyboots80I created a petition on change.org at the suggestion of a moderator on the Steam Civ VI forum. Please everyone sign it and show Aspyr your interest in a native Linux port of Civ VI.

Aspyr, please port Civilization VI to Linux

And here's a Steam thread I started about it if anyone wishes to discuss the petition there as well.

Steam thread for Civ VI Linux port petition

Thank you all for your time. :)

Update: Holy crap, wish I knew what can of worms I was opening. I want no part of any controversy, I thought I was doing a good thing. Looks like I may have been mistaken. I wish to rectify this. What do you guys think, and do you think I should scrap the petition? I have no desire to upset or insult anyone, I had no idea about prior events like the "blizzard incident" and I wish I had before doing this. So, do you all think I should remove it?

I signed. Thanks for the link. Why would you want to take it down ? How does it insult anyone asking for a game on Linux ? Was it insulting when Windows gamers asked for Dark Souls ? Was it insulting when console gamers asked for Crysis ? You have nothing to be ashamed of.
Joeyboots80 Jan 1, 2017
@PublicNuisance

I panicked at first because I was unaware of a stigma attached to petitions for some in the Linux community, and was also unaware that petitions have been used for nefarious reasons in the past giving the Linux gaming community at large a bad name with certain devs and publishers. The immediate responses I received were negative in tone and I felt that maybe I had made a bad decision. It seems all is well now, and I do not think anyone is truly offended by this, and obviously I have no intention of insulting anyone, let alone Aspyr, whom I love and appreciate.

Things have seemed to calm down a lot, and so have I. I have received more encouragement than negativity since I first created it, and the sigs seem to be trickling in despite my under-promotion of it.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said and I had that very attitude when I started the petition. Thank you for your encouragement and positivity, in my humble opinion those are two elements that are needed in order to further the cause of native Linux gaming. Cheers friend and Happy New Year!
PublicNuisance Jan 1, 2017
Quoting: Joeyboots80@PublicNuisance

I panicked at first because I was unaware of a stigma attached to petitions for some in the Linux community, and was also unaware that petitions have been used for nefarious reasons in the past giving the Linux gaming community at large a bad name with certain devs and publishers. The immediate responses I received were negative in tone and I felt that maybe I had made a bad decision. It seems all is well now, and I do not think anyone is truly offended by this, and obviously I have no intention of insulting anyone, let alone Aspyr, whom I love and appreciate.

Things have seemed to calm down a lot, and so have I. I have received more encouragement than negativity since I first created it, and the sigs seem to be trickling in despite my under-promotion of it.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said and I had that very attitude when I started the petition. Thank you for your encouragement and positivity, in my humble opinion those are two elements that are needed in order to further the cause of native Linux gaming. Cheers friend and Happy New Year!

Yeah it can get quite derailed quickly when Linux is brought up. There are over 1900 comments on 128 pages for a thread on the Steam forum for Doom that started as Linux users happily asking for a port and countless Windows users berating them and then the Linux users berating them right back. It was a mess there and elsewhere. Still if we don't ask then people can just say they were unaware people wanted a Linux version. Have to make our voices heard and hope it stays respectful.
Joeyboots80 Jan 2, 2017
Thank you for your support and kind words! I was looking for a way to circumvent all that and have the Linux folks tell Aspyr directly through a petition without windows trolls interfering or muddying the waters that they are interested in a port. I am tired of having to fight with trolls just to show my support for a product. Although I know it can't be 100% avoided it seems, as I, and I am sure most of us, refuse to be chased away from the Steam forums. Yes, I agree we have to make our voices heard else how would anyone know what we want? Once again, cheers friend, and have a good day. :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.