Does Legend of Mir 2 work through Wine? (will switch to Linux if it does)
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Linuxwarper Jan 16, 2017
The game is called Legend Of Mir 2 and It's a private server version. WineHQ says the game's 2.3 version worked with a platinum rating but I want to double check with someone who knows Wine. The private server's client can be found here: http://www.mirrevenge.com/download-installing-starting-game-creating-character-game/

I hope someone, who knows Wine well, can download the client from the link, run the game (past the login) and see if it's platinum rating still or not. I will be waiting eagerly for feedback, thanks.
damarrin Jan 16, 2017
As much as I'm for helping people out, you're asking a bit much.

Do your own work, you might learn something new in the process.
Linuxwarper Jan 16, 2017
One of the arguments I've heard from other Linux users, in context to devs porting games to Linux, is that "Linux gamers are helpful and will help you with issues". I, who are not a developer just a simple user, came here hoping someone could help me at very least troubleshoot a platinum rated game and what do I get? Do your own work?
That kind of statement does nothing for me and you'd have done me a huge favor by not posting at all. I'm sorry if that comes off as rude but if I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be asking for help.

For anyone who is willing to help me out; I ran Lubuntu 16.04.1 LTS through a liveusb, installed Wine there and ran the game's setup. However I came across error with launching it. I didn't note it down but I can go back and repeat steps to get it if necessary.
Liam Dawe Jan 16, 2017
Quoting: LinuxwarperFor anyone who is willing to help me out; I ran Lubuntu 16.04.1 LTS through a liveusb, installed Wine there and ran the game's setup. However I came across error with launching it. I didn't note it down but I can go back and repeat steps to get it if necessary.
It likely wouldn't work in a liveusb due to graphics drivers.

Also, asking people to do something that sounds like you're quite capable of testing yourself on a proper install is likely to get a backlash. It's generally better to ask if anyone has tried it, not to ask people to do it for you.

Anyway I tried it and it doesn't seem to work on a fresh Wine install. Don't know why and don't have time to look into it further.
Linuxwarper Jan 16, 2017
Quoting: liamdawe
Quoting: LinuxwarperFor anyone who is willing to help me out; I ran Lubuntu 16.04.1 LTS through a liveusb, installed Wine there and ran the game's setup. However I came across error with launching it. I didn't note it down but I can go back and repeat steps to get it if necessary.
It likely wouldn't work in a liveusb due to graphics drivers.

Also, asking people to do something that sounds like you're quite capable of testing yourself on a proper install is likely to get a backlash. It's generally better to ask if anyone has tried it, not to ask people to do it for you.

Anyway I tried it and it doesn't seem to work on a fresh Wine install. Don't know why and don't have time to look into it further.
I would have properly tested myself (with os installed) but circumstances doesn't exactly allow for that. I looked at wine's site for feedback and searched for more. I really have no idea what the error that I got means, but I plan on troubleshooting this game once I am ready to install os.

In any case thank you for trying on your system. I'll let you know if I can manage to make it work, I doubt it though as I am not that capable as you may think. Thanks once more!
Linuxwarper Jan 28, 2017
I gave it a try, installed Ubuntu and then Wine, and here is error code:
[28.01.2017 22.40.06] System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'RuntimePolicyHelper' threw an exception. ---> System.NotImplementedException: The method or operation is not implemented.
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR (Int32 errorCode) <0x1ee7c20 + 0x0002b> in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper cominterop) Client.Program+RuntimePolicyHelper+ICLRRuntimeInfo:BindAsLegacyV2Runtime ()
at (wrapper cominterop-invoke) Client.Program+RuntimePolicyHelper+ICLRRuntimeInfo:BindAsLegacyV2Runtime ()
at Client.Program+RuntimePolicyHelper..cctor () <0x1ee3b08 + 0x000fd> in <filename unknown>:0
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Client.Program.Main (System.String[] args) <0x1ee33a8 + 0x0007b> in <filename unknown>:0
[28.01.2017 22.41.28] System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'RuntimePolicyHelper' threw an exception. ---> System.NotImplementedException: The method or operation is not implemented.
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR (Int32 errorCode) <0x1ee5458 + 0x0002b> in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper cominterop) Client.Program+RuntimePolicyHelper+ICLRRuntimeInfo:BindAsLegacyV2Runtime ()
at (wrapper cominterop-invoke) Client.Program+RuntimePolicyHelper+ICLRRuntimeInfo:BindAsLegacyV2Runtime ()
at Client.Program+RuntimePolicyHelper..cctor () <0x1ee1340 + 0x000fd> in <filename unknown>:0
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Client.Program.Main (System.String[] args) <0x1ee0be0 + 0x0007b> in <filename unknown>:0

Don't have any idea. If anyone is interested in pursuing this good luck.
tuubi Jan 29, 2017
I won't install the game, but those look like .NET errors to me. First of all, you should probably create a clean 32-bit wine prefix and then use winetricks to install whatever version of dotnet the game requires. The site you referenced suggests you need versions 3.5 and 4.5, so better install both. Google for instructions if needed. You could try if that takes you any further.
Linuxwarper Jan 29, 2017
It was for a friend that I tried to get this game working. I hoped she would try more but after trying Wine, then PlayonLinux and then a quick attempt at installing .NET 3.5 and 4.5 and DX9 (with errors here and there) with Winetricks, she decided it was to much hassel and didn't want to try more. Shame, as I think Linux with LXDE Linux would be great match for her relatively old pc.

Regardless of how things turned out, thanks for your feedback on the error tuubi. If I get chance to tackle the error I will at least know where to start.
MaCroX95 Jan 29, 2017
Quoting: LinuxwarperIt was for a friend that I tried to get this game working. I hoped she would try more but after trying Wine, then PlayonLinux and then a quick attempt at installing .NET 3.5 and 4.5 and DX9 (with errors here and there) with Winetricks, she decided it was to much hassel and didn't want to try more. Shame, as I think Linux with LXDE Linux would be great match for her relatively old pc.

Regardless of how things turned out, thanks for your feedback on the error tuubi. If I get chance to tackle the error I will at least know where to start.

If the game runs DirectX 9 or lower it is almost certain that it would work through wine with propper configuration, I suggest playing with it on PlayOnLinux (making wine bottles and trying them out). Some of common dependencies you want to install are .NET Framework (version depends on the year of the game), vcrun (version also depends), d3dx9 package.

I hope that you will find a way to make it work.
Linuxwarper Mar 29, 2017
I gave it another go and used Wine info/Arc wiki to create a 32bit prefix, as I could not install .NET packages with 64-bit, but despite lots effort I could not get Winetricks to use 32bit that I had made. It always used the default (64bit).
Initially I thought WINE itself was enough to run games. But if we need to install other packages through Winetricks then I think that's possibly what's hindering the game from running, as I need .NET 3.5 and 4.5.

As a way to get help with what Im doing wrong ill go through commands.

Make a 32bit prefix:
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/
If I understand correctly this will create the prefix folder "win32" in current users home directory among the other folders such as documents, downloads, desktop etc.

Second step, use the prefix:
export WINEPREFIX=~/win32
wine winecfg 

Is this correct? I tried and failed badly many times now. I don't have access to a Linux pc atm but the challenge to make this game run has made me determined to try once again.
tuubi Mar 30, 2017
Quoting: LinuxwarperMake a 32bit prefix:
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/
If I understand correctly this will create the prefix folder "win32" in current users home directory among the other folders such as documents, downloads, desktop etc.

Second step, use the prefix:
export WINEPREFIX=~/win32
wine winecfg 

Is this correct? I tried and failed badly many times now. I don't have access to a Linux pc atm but the challenge to make this game run has made me determined to try once again.
No, that's not quite correct. Try this:

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/wine32" WINEARCH=win32 wine wineboot

This creates a new wine prefix in the directory "wine32" in your home. You can use whatever name you want for the directory of course. Then any time you want to run wine (or winecfg) using that prefix, prepend WINEPREFIX="$HOME/wine32" to your command line like this:

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/wine32" wine winecfg

You can only select the prefix in the winetricks UI if you create it under ~/.local/share/wineprefixes/ I think, but just run winetricks in the same way as wine above to use the 32-bit prefix as default. I hope this helps.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.