You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can support us on Paypal and Liberapay!
What Linux kernel for gaming?
Leeo97one commented on 25 January 2017 at 2:25 pm UTC

Hay people!

I was wondering if there is any Linux kernel (like Zen or Liquorix) that could be great for gaming? Or if the vanilla kernel is already OK?

oldrocker99 commented on 25 January 2017 at 3:26 pm UTC

The vanilla kernel has always worked for me, FWIW.

Leeo97one commented on 25 January 2017 at 4:14 pm UTC

Yeah, I know it works but perhaps another kernel can achieve more performance or something?

stan commented on 25 January 2017 at 4:55 pm UTC

I haven’t tried any special kernel either, but I believe the results are likely to depend on your processor anyway so you should Just Try It . Another thing to look at are cpufreq and intel_pstate settings, and compositor settings.

wolfyrion commented on 25 January 2017 at 6:59 pm UTC

I have tried so far ck-kernel and I can say that it was even worst than the stocked kernel.(I have tested it while they jumped to MuQSS CPU Scheduler so maybe now performs much better)
Gaming optimization,NEW Drivers & Vulkan API maybe improve FPS in some games and thats all.if your CPU is not a bottleneck and you have an I5 or I7 processor the only thing that will increase your FPS is a better graphic card.
Overclocking your CPU will not make much of a difference.

g000h commented on 25 January 2017 at 8:55 pm UTC

Ah, the "good old days"...

make menuconfig; make dep; make clean; make bzImage; make modules

libgradev commented on 4 February 2017 at 10:50 am UTC

Arch has plenty of 3rd party "optimized" ones... Generally though, I wouldn't bother.

Xpander commented on 4 February 2017 at 2:39 pm UTC

i have tried many and the differences are so small/if at all that its not worth the hassle.

Leeo97one commented on 4 February 2017 at 5:34 pm UTC

OK, thanks for all your answers! So it seems like there is no really kernel for a significantly better gaming experience.

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts
Facebook