Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
What Linux kernel for gaming?
Leeo97one Jan 25, 2017
Hay people!

I was wondering if there is any Linux kernel (like Zen or Liquorix) that could be great for gaming? Or if the vanilla kernel is already OK?
oldrocker99 Jan 25, 2017
The vanilla kernel has always worked for me, FWIW.
Leeo97one Jan 25, 2017
Yeah, I know it works but perhaps another kernel can achieve more performance or something?
wolfyrion Jan 25, 2017
I have tried so far ck-kernel and I can say that it was even worst than the stocked kernel.(I have tested it while they jumped to MuQSS CPU Scheduler so maybe now performs much better)
Gaming optimization,NEW Drivers & Vulkan API maybe improve FPS in some games and thats all.if your CPU is not a bottleneck and you have an I5 or I7 processor the only thing that will increase your FPS is a better graphic card.
Overclocking your CPU will not make much of a difference.
g000h Jan 25, 2017
Ah, the "good old days"...

make menuconfig; make dep; make clean; make bzImage; make modules
libgradev Feb 4, 2017
Arch has plenty of 3rd party "optimized" ones... Generally though, I wouldn't bother.
Xpander Feb 4, 2017
i have tried many and the differences are so small/if at all that its not worth the hassle.
Leeo97one Feb 4, 2017
OK, thanks for all your answers! So it seems like there is no really kernel for a significantly better gaming experience.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.