I thinking of building a new computer
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
erlaan Mar 6, 2017
I was thinking of building a new computer. Because my computer starting to fall behind in games. And the thing I was thinking of is. A AMD R7 1800x. and then I would wait for AMD vega and look if i gonna buy a AMD card or NVIDIA. I was thinking of a 1080ti. Or if the AMD vega will have good performance I really want to give my money to AMD. And hope they will get better support for linux.
chui2ch Mar 6, 2017
I ordered my Ryzen 1700 and am waiting on a motherboard. From every thing I've read the 1700 is the sweet spot if you don't mind overclocking. It seems like most of the 1700's will hit 4.0 no problem.
lucinos Mar 6, 2017
I personally would not "upgrade" from a i7-3820 that I see on your PC-info.

I do not have such a good desktop and really thinking buying a Ryzen 1600X. I think this will be the sweet spot. If someone is buying now a desktop, Ryzen seem the best considering cores and price choice but if someone already has a really good i7 I do not see big reason.
lucinos Mar 6, 2017
Quoting: chui2chI ordered my Ryzen 1700 and am waiting on a motherboard. From every thing I've read the 1700 is the sweet spot if you don't mind overclocking. It seems like most of the 1700's will hit 4.0 no problem.

Even without hitting 4.0, Ryzen would be a good upgrade from a FX as they have way more instruction per cycle, about the same as intel now.

erlaan Mar 6, 2017
Quoting: lucinosI personally would not "upgrade" from a i7-3820 that I see on your PC-info.

I do not have such a good desktop and really thinking buying a Ryzen 1600X. I think this will be the sweet spot. If someone is buying now a desktop, Ryzen seem the best considering cores and price choice but if someone already has a really good i7 I do not see big reason.

Yea Maybe my cpu will not be a bottleneck for a Nvidia 1080ti or AMD Vega.
wolfyrion Mar 7, 2017
These are the parts I have chosen so far for my PC.

Memory will change when the G.SKILL Flare X Series and FORTIS Series DDR4 will be released and I am waiting also for the GTX 1080Ti.
(Flare X Will Be Available in a Variety of Frequencies and Cater to Enthusiasts. These RAM are specifically for Ryzen according to GSkill)
So hopefully at the end of the March or April I will have my newly PC assembled and until then I hope Kernel and Bios will fix any problems/optimizations for Ryzen.

EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000 Watt
SKU: 220-P2-1000-XR

MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM
SKU: 7A31-001R

Samsung SSD 960 Pro M.2 512GB
SKU: MZ-V6P512BW

Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 Kit 3000 CL15 (2x16GB)
SKU: CMD32GX4M2B3000C15

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Boxed 8 core (Octa Core) CPU with 3.60 GHz
SKU: YD180XBCAEWOF
0aTT Mar 7, 2017
Quoting: erlaanOr if the AMD vega will have good performance I really want to give my money to AMD.

I think it will take years until the open AMD driver is as good as the NVidia driver. Currently you have violent performance losses against Windows and lack of hardware support. No HDMI sound, for example. From my point of view, it is still too early to switch to AMD for us penguins.

What is the equivalent of NVENC at AMD? Do this work with the free driver? This would be a plus for me, because I have to re-compile ffmpeg for NVENC. In the long term I will also switch to AMD. But now?

Think about the fact that you need the latest kernel for Ryzen.
erlaan Mar 7, 2017
Quoting: 0aTT
Quoting: erlaanOr if the AMD vega will have good performance I really want to give my money to AMD.

I think it will take years until the open AMD driver is as good as the NVidia driver. Currently you have violent performance losses against Windows and lack of hardware support. No HDMI sound, for example. From my point of view, it is still too early to switch to AMD for us penguins.

What is the equivalent of NVENC at AMD? Do this work with the free driver? This would be a plus for me, because I have to re-compile ffmpeg for NVENC. In the long term I will also switch to AMD. But now?

Think about the fact that you need the latest kernel for Ryzen.

As you sound I maybe will go green again. And yes it's true the AMD open driver is not as good as Nvidia drivers. But with vulkan is amd good on linux or is the card bad with that api to?
0aTT Mar 8, 2017
Quoting: erlaanBut with vulkan is amd good on linux or is the card bad with that api to?

From the benchmarks I've seen AMD benefiting strong from Vulkan. But they often just close the gap to Nvidia by this. And there are unfortunately very few games that have a powerful Vulkan engine. I'm sure this will change in future but it will take years rather than months. The overwhelming majority of Linux games are based on OpenGL. The OpenGL performance of AMD has been so-so in the last years. But I have the impression that it is slowly getting better. Feral used an AMD card for there Total War: Warhammer live stream. That would have been unthinkable a year ago. So there has been a great progress here. Nevertheless most Linux games do not support AMD cards officially. This also applies to some older Feral ports. Games like Alien: Isolation may run well with an AMD card but officially they are not supported.

Even with an Nvidia card you will have a great performance gap under Linux. In Games like Tomb Raider you will see many fps drops. So it is worth to follow the current development very closely. At the moment it is very difficult and there are many contradictory benchmarks on the market. Therefore, I would at least wait a few more months until we know a little bit better how Ryzen and the new AMD GPUs influence the situation. Currently I would still buy an i7 (7700K) and a NVidia GPU for gaming under Linux. This may change in the next months or not.

I hope there are others to comment on. Especially people with AMD cards.
lucinos Mar 9, 2017
Quoting: XpanderView video on youtube.com

lets sum it up.

CS:GO
Ryzen 7 1700X is better than [email protected]
Ryzen 7 1700X is better than i3-7100
Ryzen 7 1700X is worse than i5-7600K

Dota2
sames as CS:GO

Dota2 - Vulkan
Ryzen 7 1700X is same as i3-7100
Ryzen 7 1700X is worse than i5-7600K

Metro:LLR
Ryzen is very-very bad

Unigene Heaven v4.0
against intel useless benchbark as it is clearly gpu bound.

Xonotic v0.8
Ryzen 7 1700X is better than i5-7600K
Ryzen 7 1700X is a bit worse than i7-7700K

All the benchmarks are not very usefull long term as they are on current games at only 1920x1080. As Ryzen is clearly already competitive against intel, on the long term will probably be much better because it has more cores.

Ryzen is at 3.4GHZ so compared to FX, AMD clearly managed to achieve what they advertise.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.