Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Most graphically intensive game in Linux?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
knro Mar 6, 2017
What would be the most graphically intensive game in Linux (native) with beautiful lush environments? I know this is a subjective question, but been looking forward to trying out a game for the eye-candy. Something with spectacular foliage, high res textures, detailed environments, etc..., is there anything like that on Linux?

From all the games I tried, the foliage/trees suck badly. Even in beautiful games like The Talos Principle, their foliage implementation is sub-par.
Xpander Mar 6, 2017
Deus Ex Mankind Divided ... not much of a lush environments though.

Dying Light and Dead Island Definitive Editions have some and look really good imo.
1xok Mar 7, 2017
As you look more closely, you can also see in today's games that it is just graphics. But I like the environment of Tomb Raider (2013). Also Life is Strange has some nice settings. But do not expect any graphics fireworks from LiS. It's more the Artwork. Hitman has also some beautiful settings. Bioshock Infinite has some hyper realistic settings but the flower textures are really cheap when you examine them. But great artwork.

There are actually a lot of games for Linux, which have a graphically real blow. Insofar as one gets involved. None of the games is anyhow photo-realistic or something like that. They are also not under Windows.
knro Mar 7, 2017
Today I tried the Ark survival game and it was pretty nice graphics-wise, the textures and everything looks super sharp.

QuoteAs you look more closely, you can also see in today's games that it is just graphics. But I like the environment of Tomb Raider (2013).

THAT is the game where I had my "Wow" moments. I'm really hoping the sequel would get ported to Linux as well.

QuoteDying Light and Dead Island Definitive Editions have some and look really good imo.

I'll check those two today as well. I tried 7 ways to die, but it's still in alpha and while it looks promising, I'm not a big fan of survival game. Nevertheless, it gives you a nice detailed environment but no Crysis3-level foliage thus far.
Mountain Man Mar 10, 2017
X-Plane 11

:D

You're going to need a bleeding edge system if you want to run it at max.
Blurps Mar 10, 2017
Hitman :'(
knro Mar 10, 2017
Quoting: Mountain ManX-Plane 11

I have over 700 hours on XPlane10 and I consider myself a hardcore flight simmer BUT XPlane10 was such a hog due to issues with the engine itself, not eye-candy. I can't even run XPlane10 at max on my high-end system (Core i7 6800k, NVidia 1080, 32GB RAM @ PC3200) I hope these issues are fixed with XPlane 11 but I'm setting my expectations low as I do not expect them to fix all the performance related issues.
Mountain Man Mar 10, 2017
Quoting: knro
Quoting: Mountain ManX-Plane 11

I have over 700 hours on XPlane10 and I consider myself a hardcore flight simmer BUT XPlane10 was such a hog due to issues with the engine itself, not eye-candy. I can't even run XPlane10 at max on my high-end system (Core i7 6800k, NVidia 1080, 32GB RAM @ PC3200) I hope these issues are fixed with XPlane 11 but I'm setting my expectations low as I do not expect them to fix all the performance related issues.
You should check out the X-Plane 11 beta. They've greatly simplified the number of things the user can tweak in the interface to avoid the pitfall of "incorrect" configurations that can counter-intuitively hurt performance. There are also a number of under-the-hood improvements that increases the efficiency of the rendering pipeline which doesn't necessarily improve raw speed but does improve overall performance consistency. The visuals have also been noticeably improved with reflections and a new lighting engine.
g000h Mar 10, 2017
Dying Light has been one of my favourite Linux games because:

The graphics are really fantastic.
The fighting plays well and feels realistic - very visceral.
The running, climbing and jumping mechanics work very well indeed - I wish more games felt like this.
It's an open world experience, you explore here and there finding secrets in all sorts of nooks and crannies.
Sometimes you just go somewhere in the game, to admire the view, e.g. climbing a skyscraper.
On top of all this, the suspense and imposing danger of traversing the city at night - it gives quite a rush.
And... I haven't even played The Following DLC yet - For me there are still goodies galore left to enjoy.
(One more thing... I've been playing it at 4K resolution, and it has been running at a decent framerate.)
Mountain Man Mar 13, 2017
Dying Light, good recommendation.

Tomb Raider is another good one if all you care about is graphics. I thought the game itself was mediocre at best, but it sure did look pretty.
Jahimself Mar 19, 2017
Metro Last Light Redux with smaax4 :p
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.