You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Frogatto
Brandon Smith Jun 10, 2012
Looks awesome

[media=youtube]6tyrFbmtmFc[/media]
berarma Jun 11, 2012
Even more awesomeness...
[media=youtube]-32SFFbaeJg[/media]

It seems like a good platform for 2d sprite-based games. I'd like to see more commercial games being developed with free engines. As fas as I know, the Frogatto game takes collaborations, the engine is free, the assets aren't but they are freely distributable except on iOS where they're selling it to make some profit.
Ultimoore Aug 10, 2012
the game is amazing. i am shocked more people dont use this engine more often.
Kame Aug 17, 2012
The engine is definitely good, a nice mix of powerful and easy to use.

I've actually wondered something about their license though, according to their website:

The license on the code is the GPL, but we’re doing a Qt-style dual-licensing model, so we insist that if you contribute something, you transfer the copyright to us.

Does that mean ANY code you write for the engine is automatically transferred ownership to them or only code that you submit to the Frogatto base? Could you for example fork the engine and make one for your own game with it or would all code written for that forked engine then belong to the Frogatto devs? (the new code would of course be GPL either way, I'm just wondering who would retain copyright on it)
Ultimoore Aug 17, 2012
I am pretty sure it depend how much of the code you use. But like you said it will be under the gpl anyways. Their code they used is theirs and any code you make is yours.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.