Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
All in One Pc which to buy?
Vuko2000 Mar 17, 2017
In near future I whould like to buy All in One Pc i prefer Linux on board. I have candidate Lenovo IdeaCentre Y910-27ISH i5-6400 16GB 2TB GTX1070 27" there is Windows instaled. I would like to defenetly delete Windows and install the newest Ubuntu. Is it good choice for that I mean hardwere drivers will work as it should ??
damarrin Mar 17, 2017
Can't say anything about the Lenovo, but there's a new Dell all-in-one that's come out (or is coming out soon) that comes with Ubuntu pre-installed. Bryan Lunduke was talking about it with a Dell guy recently on YouTube.

Looks like it's the Precision 5720. It comes with Radeon graphics. :-( Which basically makes my post redundant. Carry on.
Vuko2000 Apr 2, 2017
Yes its true Dell is ok but haven seen in shop in Poland. So what i whant to do buy Lenovo IdeaCentre Y910. Delete Windows and instal Ubuntu. But im not sure about hardware is it full supported in Ubuntu. Also I have on my eyes Lenovo IdeaCentre 510S but I`m also not sure about nVidia® GeForce 930A. Buy the whey any one got any test performence in games Gforce 930A is it ok ??
damarrin Apr 3, 2017
Oh, you won't see them in shops in PL. Dell's online store only.
g000h Apr 3, 2017
Hi,

If you are going to buy a PC with Windows pre-installed, then I'd recommend the following strategies "even if you ARE going to use Windows"!!

Buy the machine with the smallest, cheapest hard drive option. (Then you're not wasting money - see below: )

Before you even switch on the machine, take out the hard drive and keep it on one side, that way you can always revert back to a clean copy of Windows if you require it.

The alternative to the above, is to use a disk-cloning utility and an external "backup" USB Hard Drive. CloneZilla is a free disk-cloning tool and there are others, e.g. Paragon Disk Manager. Take a clone of the current drive in your PC (i.e. the Windows partition) and once you have cloned it, you can overwrite with Linux and restore it to Windows again in the future.

I prefer to do one of the two methods detailed above with any machine I buy, that way I can get back Windows if I need it for something. The clone image is usually compressed and a lot smaller than the actual drive size.

If you are going to replace the drive, then buy another drive with the capacity you want (e.g. 500GB SSD). Note that the way vendors sell pre-built machines, it is often cheaper to buy the original machine with a small drive, and put in a big drive of your own rather than buying the same machine pre-built with a big drive. Just look at how Apple rips off their customers with this tactic.

If you buy a machine for casual gaming, or even as a Steam-link machine - The Intel NUC or mini-pcs from other manufacturers are pretty good. Those machines can be bought bare-bone (and you separately buy RAM and Hard Drive for them).

Hope you find this useful.
Vuko2000 Apr 11, 2017
I found All in ONe Lenovo IdeaCentre AIO 510S it looks 4 me. But can u please tell me what about drivers for this PC is it ok for Linux Mint or Ubuntu ??
Guppy Apr 11, 2017
Quoting: Vuko2000I found All in ONe Lenovo IdeaCentre AIO 510S it looks 4 me. But can u please tell me what about drivers for this PC is it ok for Linux Mint or Ubuntu ??

You can run Linux Mint on a 10 year old laptop ( yes, yes you can I have one I did that to ) as long as your just doing light web browsing.

Now the computer your talking about is wildly underspecced for any kind of gaming ( i3 with only onboard gfx )
But I'm sure it will run Linux just fine for office / web use.

The problem is Lenovo has a bit of a spotty record in regards to locking their bios to other operating systems;

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160921/06403335582/lenovo-accused-locking-linux-out-certain-laptops-microsofts-request.shtml

So I would definitively ask them to confirm before you buy.
Vuko2000 Apr 12, 2017
Tere is option w i7. I asked Lenovo about lock Linux dont have yet answer
damarrin Apr 12, 2017
I'll be surprised if they do answer. I was getting a Lenovo laptop a while back and the same machine had wildly different configs from different sellers - down to various wifi cards, some of which were reported to not play nicely with Linux. You should just see precisely what it has installed and look around the web at what people write about the hardware.

That said, the only things I'd expect to cause trouble these days are wifi/bluetooth and possibly audio. The other stuff should be OK, unless it comes with a VIA gfx card or something...
Vuko2000 May 5, 2017
Now i use https://zorinos.com kickass windows linux distro for sure now Im looking for All in One for this ZorinOS Ultimate. They have also nice support.
razing32 May 6, 2017
What about the Dell all in ones ?
I remember Precision Workstation 5720 being covered on the sister site. Looked pretty neat.
Or are you set on the Lenovos you have available locally without the hassle of online ordering ?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.