Can Zotac Magnus EN1060 run Linux?
oram Apr 12, 2017
Hi,

I'm investigating for a new gaming PC with the following requirements:

- small form factor
- running Linux, with no OS pre-installed
- with at least moderate gaming ability
- silent - I've ended up discarding this one, too difficult/expensive to achieve. Replaced with "not too noisy"

The new Kaby Lake Zotac EN1060 seems to be a perfect choice... but I still don't know if it can run Linux out of the box. I've found nothing on Zotac website, nor on the Internet. Is it really possible that no one tried running Linux on it?

I believe the odds must be high, but I don't want to take any chance with a 1500€ purchase...
Have you ever came across a review of this barebone from a Linux user?
Redface Apr 13, 2017
You should check what Bluetooth and Wifi chips it has, and then check the linux compability of those, these are probably the only that could give problems.

Their steammachine is supposedly same hardware as the earlier EN970 series, and very silent according to reviews, but maybe to dated for you. That they don't have a newer version of that comparable to the EN1060 could mean that there are problems with Linux, or that the sales are so low that the different packaging isn't worth it.
Or they wait for Valve to finally update the nvidia driver in steamos and then they release a new steammachine based on the EN1060 hardware
oram Apr 13, 2017
Thanks Redface!

Indeed, the EN970 is a good idea but is a bit too dated for me (I actually have other options in mind.)

I'll try investigating the compatibility with the Bluetooth and Wifi chips, but as I don't own Bluetooth devices and my PC will rely on a wire connection for networks, it's a non-issue.
tuubi Apr 14, 2017
Quoting: oramI'll try investigating the compatibility with the Bluetooth and Wifi chips, but as I don't own Bluetooth devices and my PC will rely on a wire connection for networks, it's a non-issue.
You could also email Zotac directly and ask if the system is compatible with Linux. You might not get a meaningful answer, but asking costs nothing and it also reminds them that Linux exists and is used by some of their potential customers.
oram Apr 14, 2017
Thanks tuubi. Actually, this is exactly what I did, and I've just received an answer from Zotac:

QuoteLinux is not officially supported.

If linux drivers available for Skylake chipset, and Realtek lan and Intel wifi AC3165, than it is more likely possible to try.

Further investigations gave the following results:

* isn't it obvious that the Skylake and Kabylake chipset are supported?

* linux drivers for Realtech lan RTL8111G seem to exist:
http://www.realtek.com/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=fa

* linux drivers for Intel wifi AC3165 seem to exist:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005511.html

Are there other possible liabilities I should be aware of, or is everything fine?
Jan Apr 15, 2017
I have a Zotac Magnus EN1080 and it runs Linux perfectly.

Never had Windows installed on my machine. :-)
Spl-it Apr 15, 2017
I wouldn't worry about those linux "drivers" and I sure as hell wouldnt download them from the manufacturers website.

This is pretty standard hardware as far as I can see, depending on the distro of choice the wifi "might" give you some headaches.
oram Apr 15, 2017
Thanks for this feedback Jan, this is most helpful!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.