Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «80/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Mar 11, 2018
Quoting: hilparaIs it possible to share the witcher installation with different wine prefixes?

You can probably symlink it, so yes. But it might use registry stuff as well. The easiest way is just to make a copy of the whole prefix. I decided not to bother and to experiment in the existing prefix. You can always uninstall Vulkan SDK, and remove dxvk overrides as well.
Shmerl Mar 11, 2018
Quoting: YoRHa-2BI managed to fix the synchronization issue in the latest commits, the game should run significantly faster than before. At least it manages to saturate my RX 480 most of the time now.

Just built latest dxvk - definitely some improvement! I'm hitting 45 fps in some places (where before it was 40).

scix Mar 11, 2018
Quoting: YoRHa-2BI managed to fix the synchronization issue in the latest commits, the game should run significantly faster than before. At least it manages to saturate my RX 480 most of the time now.

I'm now maxing out my GPU with a 980ti at 1440p and medium/high settings, and getting around 60-90fps typically. Before it was maxing out at 89% gpu utilisation. It's still slower than Windows though, I'd guess around 80% of Windows, but very much playable.
Shmerl Mar 11, 2018
Quoting: YoRHa-2BI managed to fix the synchronization issue in the latest commits

By the way, if I understand correctly, dxvk translates D3D11 into Windows Vulkan (so the need to install Vulkan SDK), which is then translated into Linux Vulkan. What is the point in translating it into Windows Vulkan first? Shouldn't it be less indirect to translate into Linux Vulkan right away?
Shmerl Mar 11, 2018
Heh, just tired to build amdvlk for a test with dxvk. Here is the result:

Avehicle7887 Mar 11, 2018
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: Avehicle7887Game launches, sound is ok but screen is black. Can anyone please share the correct procedure.

What do you get from running vulkaninfo.exe from that prefix with wine-vulkan? Also, what version of SDK did you install? I took the latest one (for Vulkan 1.1).

One thing to note. When running setup_dxvk.sh, you need to make sure it picks up both correct wine and correct prefix. Setting just prefix alone is probably not enough. You need to set environment correctly, so your wine-vulkan will be picked instead of system wine.

I was bitten by this, and nothing worked because of it. One way to fix it, is to run wine vulkan explicitly afterwards for your prefix with something like regedit, to make sure it updates the prefix to itself.

And of course, when launching the game, you need to set all needed Wine variables to wine-vulkan locations too.

It seems I did everything correctly, the driver though was running Vulkan 1.0.49 which wasn't enough for the game, Updated to 390.25 and game ran instantly.

------------------------------------------------
It seems with DXVK even the lowest of systems will be able to play this game on Linux now :-)

1280x720 / Medium Settings / SSAO+Light Shafts on.

System:

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.7GHZ
Nvidia GT1030
4GB DDR2 Memory

GPU usage easily hit 100% / CPU peaked 85% Max.
YoRHa-2B Mar 11, 2018
HLSL support is actually the most useless thing ever for a translation layer because D3D doesn't use raw HLSL, it uses Microsoft's own bytecode format, DXBC. Kind of like Vulkan, you don't pass GLSL to the driver but pre-compiled SPIR-V bytecode.
Shmerl Mar 11, 2018
I think HLSL support in Vulkan can be useful for source level ports, not for static binary translation.
Shmerl Mar 11, 2018
@YoRHa-2B: Did you have a chance to test rotfiends with radeonsi? Do you get that freeze?
Chrupaas Mar 11, 2018
Guys, how to enable dxvk's hud?
I know I should use the DXVK_HUD = 1 command but I do not know where
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.