Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Linux (with Steam) on GPDWin handheld
Page: «2/4»
  Go to:
bm16ton Dec 10, 2017
Heres a new linux kernel for GPD-WIN its forked from Hans kernel source;

https://github.com/bm16ton/gpg-win_linux-4.14

it adds support for newer/faster/bigger sdcards FINALLY!
adds 5ghz ap support (requires you to edit brcmfmac4356-pcie.txt change ccode from X2 to 00)
removes adopting reg domain from AP
ups the wifi txpower to 30db (with patched crda) but be carefull im sure this is way beyond what the card can handle

NON GPD-WIN SPECIFIC STUFF;

net-plusb (usb-2-usb network/file sharing cables) adds support for PL-25A1 chipset plus adds the orange laplink device
tons of atheros patches more info in debugfs, tons more module params, ignore eeprom and allow all channels, removes ctl's for higher transmit powers, plus more im sure)

read marvel 88w8897 usb wifi card

usb gotemp thermometer back to ldusb instead of the newer hid stuff

plus im sure more and more to come.
Julius Dec 10, 2017
That's great, thanks for sharing!

Do you by any chance also have compiled .debs from that?
Julius Jan 14, 2018
Looks like the GPDWin2 (to be out to the general public later this year) will come with good Linux support out of the box:
https://youtu.be/FnTRWCSjdW4

(however I personally believe that the price point the GPDWin2 is going to sell at makes it much less interesting than the GPDWin1 right now. Of course performance will be quite a bit better, but for most Indie games that are fun on a hand-held the GPDWin1 is fast enough).
Ardje Mar 9, 2018
Hi guys,
I can confirm that the microsd support on the GPD WIN is very bad.
There are 2 bugs:
"minor": no insertion detection
"major": timeout waiting for hardware interrupt.
This is tested with a hans de goede kernel and the 16ton kernel.
Has anyone gotten the microsd to work? I mean, really?
To be clear: with the hans de goede kernel the timeout just means stalls for 10 seconds, and after waiting for 10 seconds access continues.
And for those that do get stable microsd card access, what BIOS are you using and what settings.
There are a myriad of bios settings about emmc and microsd, and the most sane setting (all pci, full training support, no acpi or emulation) just boots the efi loader.
Currently I have the 2016-10-25 bios installed.
Ardje Mar 9, 2018
Ah:

root@tiny:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/mmc_host/mmc2/power# echo on > control 
root@tiny:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/mmc_host/mmc2/mmc2:0001/power# echo on > control

makes the timouts a onetimer to turn the things on.
The speed lags a bit behind an odroid xu4, to about 56MB/s for a card that can do twice that speed. I think both the xu4 and the win can't do SDR104, only half that.
PC's are weird, because I now have emmc configured as PCI instead of ACPI. And I did not end up in efiboot.
Julius Mar 17, 2018
The insertion detection is just a bit buggy for me, 2 out of 3 times it works with the 8GB card I am using.
Julius Jul 6, 2018
Updating to Ubuntu18.04 messed up my system (to the point that it enters some strange boot loop), so not recommended right now.

Edit: The boot loop seems to be GDM3 related and I somewhat improved the situation with reinstalling LightDM... but now I can't log in. Let's see if I can make it work from there.

Edit2: Ok that was just me breaking it by playing around with the mesa drivers when trying to fix it. So updating to 18.04 seems to work as long as you switch back to LightDM afterwards. The problem is that due to the boot-loop it is really difficult to get a working console going, but with repeatedly hitting Ctrl-Alt-F2 (also press Fn) and then logging in, you can make it install lightDM by typing "sudo apt-get install lightdm" and then choose LightDM when prompted (all the while having to hammer Ctrl-Alt-F2).

Next step is to try this new Kernel update script for the GPD-Pocket: https://github.com/petrmatula190/gpd-pocket-kernel

Edit3: Ok that update messed up my install after all... lots of system apps missing and the entire system is extremely slow now. Really strange, but for now try to avoid the update to 18.04 with your GPD win.
I also tried booting with a Ubuntu 18.04 liveCD for reinstallation, but that just results in a black screen (I guess that's GDM3 related again). I'll keep you posted if I find a solution.
Julius Jul 26, 2018
Managed to salvage the installation, but getting Ubuntu18.04 to install on this seems to be still a mess (gdm3 related).

The nice thing is that other that the microsd reader everything seems to be working now with stock Linux kernels 4.15 and up. Edit: with Kernel 5.0 the touchscreen stopped working :(

I guess once the refreshed Ubuntu18.04.1 ISO is out it will be possible again to install it without major hassle.
Julius May 21, 2019
Still working great :) Even got the SD card reader to accept my 128GB micro SD card now.

I noticed that Ubuntu Mate now officially supports the GPD Pocket 1/2. Given that the GPD Pocket 1 is almost identical hardware wise to the GPD Win (Kernels made for it work fine for example) it is highly likely that these images also work:
https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/
s8as8a May 21, 2019
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.