Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
OBS + NVENC - install help needed :(
Guppy Jun 17, 2017
Inspired by an article on GOL about recording game audio and mic to separate streams I wanted to install OBS and since I've an nvidia card I wanted NVENC support.

The problem isn't that there is no information to be found - quite the opposite there are tons of guides *all* of them conflicting. ( you need this specific version nvidia sdk, you need yasm >= 1.3, you need this specific version cuda sdk, you don't need anything ffmpeg has all the headers already )

Normally I'd just spin up a vagrant instance and try them out but it seems you'd need to have the nvidia drivers installed - so that doesn't work.

Sorting through the various guides I ended up selecting one from a user comment on GOL simply on the merit of it having the fewest steps.

the "apt-get source" step failed but apparently your supposed to grab it from git anyway..

now the 'debuild' step fails with a TON of unmet build dependencies.

Searching a bit I find that 'mk-build-deps' will produce a ".deb" with the dependencies - which is really clever as you should then be able to remove all build dependencies once you no longer need them.

but..

> sudo dpkg -i ffmpeg-build-deps_3.2.5-1_amd64.deb
whine about unmet dependencies and
> sudo apt-get -f install
just remove the package :|

since the error from dpkg -i only show the first X packages I iterate though it untill I get;

E: Unable to locate package libopenmpt-dev

TLDR;
I give up - does any one have an idiot proof guide to get this running on Mint 18 ( ubuntu 16.04 ) ?

bonus points if it is compiled in a virtual environment or it's possible to clean up build dependencies after.

TYIA
Xpander Jun 17, 2017
isnt nvenc included in ffmpeg 3.2 by default?
On arch linux at least i just have ffmpeg installed and OBS and SSR both have nvenc listed in the configs.
Guppy Jun 17, 2017
Quoting: Xpanderisnt nvenc included in ffmpeg 3.2 by default?
On arch linux at least i just have ffmpeg installed and OBS and SSR both have nvenc listed in the configs.

Seems you are rigth.

16.04 only have 2.8 and the ppa from https://obsproject.com/download doesn't support xenial

But I did find this ppa ;

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/ffmpeg-3

And
ffmpeg -encoders | grep nvenc
 V..... h264_nvenc           NVIDIA NVENC H.264 encoder (codec h264)
 V..... nvenc                NVIDIA NVENC H.264 encoder (codec h264)
 V..... nvenc_h264           NVIDIA NVENC H.264 encoder (codec h264)
 V..... nvenc_hevc           NVIDIA NVENC hevc encoder (codec hevc)
 V..... hevc_nvenc           NVIDIA NVENC hevc encoder (codec hevc)

So the idiot proof ( or atleast guppy proof :P ) guide would be

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/ffmpeg-3
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:obsproject/obs-studio
sudo apt update
sudo apt install ffmpeg libav-tools x264 x265 obs-studio

Now to see if I can manage to configure it .

Thanks <3
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.