Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Return? Anger? Disappointment? (Amikit for Linux!???)
slaapliedje Aug 20, 2017
So... I was looking at upgrading Amikit.

For those who don't know;
Amikit is a nice wrapper around UAE (in particular WinUAE) with a nice desktop install with all the modern bits of the AmigaOS tucked inside.

So I was quite thrilled when I saw that they had finally released a Linux version this month. Saddened by the fact that since 8.5 they decided to go commercial. But I'd used it for years so decided to pay for it because it finally supported Linux.

To my horror, I opened up the zip file (who distributes software for Linux in a Zip??) and discovered 4 files...
AmiKit.pdf
AmiKitX-Linux.msi
POL_install_AmiKitX
README.md

Yup, that's right. The 'Linux' version is wrapped up in an MSI file, with a Play On Linux configuration file. It's bad enough that to run it you need ROM files from Amiga Forever (which also works flawlessly in Wine last time I tried it.), but to have it not even be remotely native... and the worse part is, they don't sell it like Steam, they sell it as a separate Linux, Mac, Windows version. At least the Mac version is a dmg file...

So if they were going to just package up the Windows version with a Linux / wine wrapper, why even have a separate option to buy the Windows version? Granted, I can get all of this for free, and mostly thought of it as a donation, but if I'm going to pay for something outside of it being a straight donation, I think they should have been more straight forward as to what I was going to get!

What do other's think?
Liam Dawe Aug 21, 2017
The real questions are:
Does it work?
Do they support it?

If no to either, I wouldn't support it.

Wine isn't always a bad thing.
waitaha Aug 21, 2017
Do you mean this: https://www.amikit.amiga.sk/?

If yes, they tell you at their store-page that it runs with PlayOnLinux:
QuoteWorks on any distro

thanks to PlayOnLinux
slaapliedje Aug 21, 2017
Yup, that's the one. I must have missed that bit about it working through PlayOnLinux, I was hoping they'd packaged it up for FS-UAE, which is the WinUAE port for Linux. I think the .msi file might have some differences to the other one, but the real question I guess is why it works a little different than WinUAE. By this I mean that when I dump a bunch of roms (Talking the kickstart ones, not software ones) it will pick them all up under Windows, I think since Linux is case sensitive, it isn't picking them up when I tell it to scan the directory, so I had to create a link for kick.rom.
waitaha Aug 21, 2017
I haven't used WinUAE, so I don't know how it checks for the correct kickstart ROM.
Thinking about it, is wine case-sensitive?

FS-UAE (which I use personally) compares the checksum (SHA-1) of the content, not the name of the ROM: https://fs-uae.net/docs/kickstarts
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.