Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
FIX for SCREEN-TEARING on KDE with Nvidia proprietary drivers
MaCroX95 Aug 26, 2017
For all the fellow KDE users I've finally managed to set up KDE not to screen tear with Nvidia Proprietary drivers on my GTX 970 WITHOUT any performance loss unlike force-composition-pipeline...

The fix is quite simple but very unintuitive:
- Open Nvidia Control Panel and turn off the "sync to v-blank" option
- Under Display and monitor --> Compositor --> the tearing prevention should be on "Automatic"

"Sync to v-blank" option apparently seems to interfere with KDE's tearing prevention and causes the very thing that it is made to destroy :) With the option turned off, I get absolutely NO tearing under KDE's automatic tear prevention and gaming experience is extremely satisfying.

NOTE: There is also a bug in Nvidia 384 drivers that causes the lock screen on KDE Plasma not to work which apparently is already being worked on, in case you noticed strange behavior with screen locker :)

Hopefully I made things a bit easier for anyone trying to accomplish the tear-free experience in KDE under Nvidia GPU drivers. I'd be glad if you guys shared results and also your experience with the topic.

Best regards!
Xpander Aug 26, 2017
forcecomp adds performance loss for you? i tested several games with virtually no loss, ~0.7% difference in framerates. with compton glxbackend or xrender vsync backend there was some loss about 2-5%
MaCroX95 Aug 26, 2017
Quoting: Xpanderforcecomp adds performance loss for you? i tested several games with virtually no loss, ~0.7% difference in framerates. with compton glxbackend or xrender vsync backend there was some loss about 2-5%

Not in the games, but in the OS animations become sluggish, but I can't speak for other hardware setup than mine :)
Xpander Aug 26, 2017
Quoting: MaCroX95
Quoting: Xpanderforcecomp adds performance loss for you? i tested several games with virtually no loss, ~0.7% difference in framerates. with compton glxbackend or xrender vsync backend there was some loss about 2-5%

Not in the games, but in the OS animations become sluggish, but I can't speak for other hardware setup than mine :)

ahh, OK.. i dont use much animations on my desktop and i have high refresh rate monitor so i don't notice any delay or drops :)
MaCroX95 Aug 26, 2017
Quoting: Xpander
Quoting: MaCroX95

ahh, OK.. i dont use much animations on my desktop and i have high refresh rate monitor so i don't notice any delay or drops :)

It also helps that turning the function off doesn't require me to manually adjust nvidia settings for forced composition pipeline, this way it works no matter the monitor setup which is really nice. You can try it and tell me your experience in contrast to forced comp pipeline :)
Spl-it Aug 26, 2017
Oooooorr.. you could edit /etc/profile and add "export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP"

simply enable compositing, reboot or logout and tadaa, fixed.

No vsync setting tinkering required.
MaCroX95 Aug 26, 2017
Quoting: Spl-itOooooorr.. you could edit /etc/profile and add "export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP"

simply enable compositing, reboot or logout and tadaa, fixed.

No vsync setting tinkering required.

Thanks or advice, but I tried all of these official solutions, none of them worked besides forced comp pipeline, and that for a huge price of slow and inconsistent animations. I tried boh enabling tripple buffer and later Usleep and none fixed the problem for my particular hardware.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.