Hardware broken?
Zelox Aug 27, 2017
Hello guys.

Been having trubble with my hardware.
I think its the memory, my pc crash randomly for no reason at all.
it seems to be more often when I play games.

I tryed some bechmarks test cause I was afraid it was the GPU, seems to work fine.
I tryed Cpuburn for my cpu, seems to work fine.
I tryed do clean and search my harddriven and it works fine.
I'v tryed a Ram test, and it seems to be the cause of the problem.
But I was using the computer during these tests so its hard to say if it was the memory or something else.

Are there any other tests I can do to determent if my ram is starting to give up on me.
At the moment Im even afraid to do some work at the pc cause of the random crashes.
I also would like to add, it can be running for hours one day, the next day it can crash after 30 min.
Iv also cleaned dust from my pc, to see if that was causing the problem but no differense there.

I chaned os from Arch to Ubuntu, cause I thout Arch might have some bugged packages.
no difference there, the crashes still apper.

So anyone got any more tips or test I can do, dont really wanna by a new ram and it turns out that my
gpu is the cause of it.

And Im also going to be away for a week, so I wont responding right away.
waitaha Aug 27, 2017
Check your logs (e.g. messages, syslog, dmesg, kern.log, ...) in /var/log/.

You can test your RAM with memtest86, download a bootable ISO from here: https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm (no need to purchase, the free edition is OK)
Ehvis Aug 27, 2017
Checking your memory is always a good thing to do when random crashes happen. Note that memtest86 is usually included in the install images of distros. Let it run for an hour or so and if it doesn't give you any faults, then it's something else.

Another thing you can check is temperatures. Especially stock cooler can become clogged with dust, making them less effective. Although this usually means you'll get more noise as well.

Another thing I've seen die is mainboards. But I can't remember that ever leading to random crashes though. Usually it was more in the form of cold booting problems.
Liam Dawe Aug 27, 2017
Last time I had an issue like that it was RAM.
Zelox Aug 27, 2017
Thanks guys, gonna give memorytest and memorytest+ a go. The syslog files don't really say mutch, at least from what if seen. Only tells me the harddrive has been detached, the power went off. When I get back, I can post some info here. Maybe I'm missing something.

Regarding the temp.

The cpu is around 30*C.
The gpu is around 45*C.
Cpu on load is around 50*C.
Gpu on load is around 70*C.
The motherboard is around 30-40*C.
So to me it's not that critical in temps.
My Psu is a cx750M.
Could a broken cable in the chassi cause a crash maybe? And could an un used cable that's broken cause this as well?
I haven't checked for broken cables, just a speculation. Unable to check it at the moment tho.
wolfyrion Aug 27, 2017
Linux is very sensitive to overclocking so be careful about memory and cpu frequencies.

I also had problems like this with my old ivy bridge pc and believe it or not sometimes I had to complete shut down my PC remove the power cable, wait for 2 mins and after that everything was working fine.
I still didn't figure what was the problem because this kind of problem was happening once in 5-6 months.
Zelox Sep 1, 2017
Ok it seems to fail on the memory test.
So I ordered another RAM. I hope this solves it.

Regarding the overcloacking.
I havent done anything regarding that, BUT I saw I hade for some reason
put on switch on my motherboard that should "make it easyer or get it to work overclocked".
And only think it works on windows os anyway, but maybe it cause the problem.

And there are no dmg on the cables.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.