You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can support us on Paypal and Liberapay!
John Mambo "Pacifying the World"
Efebe commented on 28 August 2017 at 10:04 am UTC

Hello.

We are a small indie team developing a game. John MAMBO "Pacifying the world" One important platform for our game is the Linux community, but since they are so many Linux platforms and we are such a small team of 2 persons working on that we will like to know if our game is running ok for the gaming community.

Our game is a 2d shooter but is full of details and commemorates retro games of old times from the 90's like Ikari Warriors, Mercs, Rambo, Commandos,...

Will be nice to have some technical feedback about operative systems and hardware to get to know the minimum requirements of our game. So far we tried the game at 64 Ubuntu with no problems. That's why We will love to have a report or a review at your forum about our game to see how is going with the Linux community.

Here I can share the Linux version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/py1sx3474ypn1id/John%20Mambo%20Linux.rar?dl=0

Also, our website to see the game is:
www.ictiongames.com/mambo

Many Thanks.

stan commented on 28 August 2017 at 12:21 pm UTC

Hi Efebe. What technology did you use to make the game? If it’s Unity3D then it should work on most Linux distros (depending on the bugs in the version of Unity3D you’re using). If it’s your own engine and you’re compiling with gcc then you need to build the game with an old glibc to make sure it works everywhere. Building on a 2 or 3 years old distro like Xubuntu 14.04, for example, should do the job (might not be enough to run on Centos, but that’s a distro for the enterprise anyway).

I personally don’t feel comfortable downloading a rar from a random dropbox link, so I’ll leave the testing to others.

Efebe commented on 28 August 2017 at 1:34 pm UTC

Many Thanks for the info, Stan.

We use Unity indeed, should we focus on Ubuntu systems for gaming?
I understand about downloading the .rar No problem.

Guppy commented on 28 August 2017 at 1:42 pm UTC

EfebeMany Thanks for the info, Stan.

We use Unity indeed, should we focus on Ubuntu systems for gaming?
I understand about downloading the .rar No problem.

Ubuntu is properly the most mainstream Linux distribution - even if people run something different they can usually translate requirements, etc into their own distribution. ( IIRC steam Linux support is still only for Ubuntu 14.04 )

stan commented on 28 August 2017 at 2:00 pm UTC

EfebeWe use Unity indeed, should we focus on Ubuntu systems for gaming?

Well there was recently an issue with Unity3D games working only on the Unity desktop environment (the default DE of Ubuntu)… And other issues can arise from time to time. So if you want to avoid getting many bug reports from Linux users it’s good to test on at least a few different distros with different DEs… Since you’re a very small team and with not much Linux experience (from what I gather!), it’s a good idea to look for a few beta testers to confirm if things are working properly or not!

You can look at the survey stats to get an idea of the most used distros and DEs. You’ll see that Arch Linux has the biggest user-base after Ubuntu. If you decide to test on Arch yourself, don’t install Arch itself, but try Antergos instead. It’s almost the same distro, but with an easy installation process.

waitaha commented on 28 August 2017 at 5:27 pm UTC

I did a quick test:
Game runs.
My controller don't work, can't shoot, moving around and moving crosshair is working.
Had to unplug the controller to play with mouse/keyboard.
I couldn't figure out which key is for throwing grenades - main menu only showed controller mapping (even after unplugging it) Works after deleting config folder in /home/user/config/unity3d/Iction Games
Sound and Music works.

Specs:
Debian (stretch)
Nvidia GTX960
Gamepad: Logitech F710

P.s. Shot the cat

Efebe commented on 30 August 2017 at 9:17 am UTC

Many thanks for the important information that I received!

The Linux community is really helpful, we are now working to solve this problem related to the gamepad.

robvv commented on 30 August 2017 at 11:49 am UTC

waitahaP.s. Shot the cat

Couldn't bring myself to do that :-)

Very enjoyable game so far, though.

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • GOG Guest Stream: Resonance
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts
Facebook