Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Nuclear Throne - Indiebox Edition - YoYo Games - Fatal Error
Mezron Sep 4, 2017
Anyone got this game? Did anyone try getting it up and running from the Linux install USB inside the box? The box comes with a Steam key but I would rather not use that and get it working via the Linux native install inside the USB. It's not working and I am getting this error.

* YoYo Games Linux Runner V1.3 *
CommandLine: -game game.unx
ExeName= /home/rafilinux/Downloads/nuclearthrone/runner
MemoryManager allocated: 17920

* YoYo Games Runner v1.0(999)[r32908] *
RunnerLoadGame: game.unx
RunnerLoadGame() - assets/game.unx
Checking if INIFile assets/options.ini Exists
assets/options.ini file contents: [Linux]
DisplayName="Nuclear Throne"
NewDebugger=0

INI DisplayName=Nuclear Throne
Reading File assets/game.unx
Loaded File assets/game.unx(105497382)
IFF wad found
Get Resolution
Get Header Information
InitGMLFunctions
HighScore..SavePrePend /home/rafilinux/.config/nuclearthrone/
Game..Math..Graphic..Action..File..Resource..Interaction..3D..Particle..Misc..DS..Sound..Physics..Gamepad..GAMEPAD: Initialising Ubuntu support
GAMEPAD: 4 axis values (last) at 0xf6d19630
GAMEPAD: Enumerating 3
GAMEPAD: device name Logitech Gamepad F310
GAMEPAD: buttons - 11, axes - 8
GAMEPAD: 4 axis values (last) at 0xf6d195f0
GAMEPAD: Enumerating 4
GAMEPAD: device name Microsoft X-Box 360 pad
GAMEPAD: 4 axis values (last) at 0xf6d195b0
GAMEPAD: Enumerating 5
GAMEPAD: device name Logitech Gamepad F310
GAMEPAD: 4 axis values (last) at 0xf6d19570
Buffers..Networking..Shaders..InitPushFunctions...YoYo..Fini
Code_Load()
VARI_Load()
got 34 global variables
got 771 instance variables
got 24 local variables
ID_STRG
Create Window
Display Size(Pixels): 1360,768
GameDisplayName=Nuclear Throne
Win #1
XF86VidModeExtension-Version 2.2
Got Doublebuffered Visual!
glX-Version 1.4
Icon: w=128 h=128
sw=1360 wh=768
WindowCentre: 520,264
Depth 24
Congrats, you have Direct Rendering!
Set Fullscreen 1
sync = 1
**** GLX Extensions ***
GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_EXT_import_context GLX_SGIX_fbconfig GLX_SGIX_pbuffer GLX_SGI_video_sync GLX_SGI_swap_control GLX_EXT_swap_control GLX_EXT_swap_control_tear GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap GLX_EXT_buffer_age GLX_ARB_create_context GLX_ARB_create_context_profile GLX_EXT_create_context_es_profile GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile GLX_ARB_create_context_robustness GLX_NV_delay_before_swap GLX_EXT_stereo_tree GLX_ARB_context_flush_control GLX_NV_robustness_video_memory_purge GLX_ARB_multisample GLX_NV_float_buffer GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GLX_NV_copy_image GLX_ARB_get_proc_address
Checking for GLX_EXT_swap_control
Vsync: GLX_EXT
DOUBLE BUFFERED
Init Graphics
GR_D3D_Init()
OpenGL: version string 4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.66
OpenGL: vendor string NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL GLSL: version string 4.50 NVIDIA
Check TextureID
finished!!
Texture #1 16,16
Texture #2 16,16
Check TextureID
finished!!
Background_InitTextures()
Sprite_InitTextures()
Font_InitTextures()
IO Init
Process Messages
Splash!
Start Frame
Part Create Textures
Debug Init Remote Interface
VM Init
Create Score Form
Create Load Form
Create Error Form
Do The Work
LoadGameData()
initialise everything!
Process Chunk: GEN8 140
Process Chunk: OPTN 64
Process Chunk: LANG 12
unknown Chunk LANG:1196310860
Process Chunk: EXTN 4
Process Chunk: SOND 48084
Audio_Load()
Process Chunk: AGRP 4
AudioGroup_Load()
Process Chunk: SPRT 836864
Process Chunk: BGND 196
Process Chunk: PATH 4
Process Chunk: SCPT 2032
Process Chunk: SHDR 4
Process Chunk: FONT 4452
Process Chunk: TMLN 4
Process Chunk: OBJT 267124
Process Chunk: ROOM 1964
Process Chunk: DAFL 0
Process Chunk: TPAG 253920
Process Chunk: CODE 1174884
Process Chunk: VARI 70212
Process Chunk: FUNC 44860
Process Chunk: STRG 279316
Process Chunk: TXTR 3848024
Process Chunk: AUDO 98665022
Audio_WAVs()
Failed to load the game
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I thought it was a permission issue but I 777 all of the files and yet it still does not run.

I was lead to this thread on Steam - https://steamcommunity.com/app/209190/discussions/0/810923580565231302/ but none of this assisted me. Seems like Fedora users having issue with YoYo Gamermaker games have solved their issues by installing a package labeled xorg-x11-fonts-misc but there is no such package available on Ubuntu.

I'm on Ubuntu Mate 16.04.3 LTS 64
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
Liam Dawe Sep 4, 2017
A shot in the dark, but Game Maker often has problem with gamepads. It seems you have one attached, unplug it and try again and see what happens. All about process of elimination :)

I would also see what happens with the Steam version, if it works, then it may be a library issue with the DRM free copy.
Mezron Sep 4, 2017
Quoting: liamdaweA shot in the dark, but Game Maker often has problem with gamepads. It seems you have one attached, unplug it and try again and see what happens. All about process of elimination :)

I would also see what happens with the Steam version, if it works, then it may be a library issue with the DRM free copy.

Thanks. I tried the gamepad one still no dice. I also installed it on my gaming laptop and tested it no gamepad and no dice.

I emailed both indiebox and Vambleer hoping that I can switch my steam key for an itch.io or GoG key. So I don't want to use Steam, at this time. I'm pretty sure that it's a missing dll or something that they failed to pack. I even tried Wine with the Windows version that is on the USB *Big no no in this house* and it worked but with no sound and gamepad support.

This is my 2nd Indiebox and it's been a bust both time. This is actually their attempt to fix the first box since 'Banner Saga' shipped with a Windows only DVD with Linux & Mac only usable via a Steam key....which is not why I decided to support them - I wanted to start collecting Linux boxed games with my kids.

The only plus side here is that my kids loved the toys and stickers that came with this box. I kept 2 stickers for my laptop and they took all the rest.

I wanted to try this game out since we got it on Friday but going to need to wait til they get back to me probably tomorrow or later.

Thanks for the assist!
Mezron Sep 5, 2017
Update - Got some support today.

The game was missing 1 file - the splash page.

There is still an issue when the game starts out it's fullscreen with a tiny game window in the left bottom corner.

Here is a link if anyone is interested - https://s26.postimg.org/j8qdyj8sp/Screenshot_at_2017-09-05_18_39_52.png

I've seen this happen before with some freeware gamemaker studio games but I don't remember resolving it outside of pressing F11 to go into window mode then pressing F11 again to get it back into fullscreen properly. Which works here but this is going to be nusience since this game was going to be in my HTPC for the most part.

As a bonus, if someone helps me with this I will gladly pass you the Steam key or the PS4 key to the game if you like.
tofurobber Jun 9, 2020
Hey, I'm running into the exact same issue with the same error. I see the splash file but maybe I'm missing something. You're link is dead so I'm wondering if there's something else that I'm missing.
Mezron Jun 9, 2020
Quoting: tofurobberHey, I'm running into the exact same issue with the same error. I see the splash file but maybe I'm missing something. You're link is dead so I'm wondering if there's something else that I'm missing.

I solved it by using Lutris to install it.
Iggi Feb 4, 2021
Finally found the issue, thanks to https://github.com/ptitSeb/box86-compatibility-list/issues/11: The runner file included both in the IndieBox and the itch.io Linux versions is simply broken. A working replacement executable (seemingly from the Steam version) is provided in the ticket.
Mezron Feb 4, 2021
Excellent. Unfortunely, since this post I upgraded to 20.04 and I'm not getting "libcrypto.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" error and any install of it does not seem to take.
Iggi Feb 4, 2021
I'm not using Ubuntu, but from what I can see Ubuntu 20.04 does not provide that old version of the library any more. Also be aware that the game is a 32 bit application, so you will also need the i386 version of the library.

In other words: Download https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/i386/libssl1.0.0/download, extract the .so file into the game's installation directory and start it with something like LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./runner
Mezron Feb 4, 2021
Quoting: IggiI'm not using Ubuntu, but from what I can see Ubuntu 20.04 does not provide that old version of the library any more. Also be aware that the game is a 32 bit application, so you will also need the i386 version of the library.

In other words: Download https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/i386/libssl1.0.0/download, extract the .so file into the game's installation directory and start it with something like LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./runner

That worked. Thank you very much!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.