Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Linux Steam ate my Windows Steam's data.
slaapliedje Sep 4, 2017
So since I have smaller SSDs with larger HDDs in my computer, I tend to keep the operating systems (Windows10/Debian Sid) on the SSDs, and the games stored on other hard drives.

To attempt to make it so I didn't duplicate effort, I added the Windows storage drive to my Linux Steam. Apparently that makes Steam think it should sync over the data for Linux games only, so somehow my data was emptied out and now that I've booted back into Windows, I have to re-download everything! Which is quite painful when you have games like Ghost Recon: Wildlands that is 53.9GB, Conan Exiles, 20.3GB, etc.

Just a heads up for anyone who may do something stupid like I just did!
damarrin Sep 5, 2017
Hmmm, that's a risky proposition at best. I'd wager Steam will keep only a single-system version of a game in a folder anyway, so if you boot into Windows after using Linux, it'll at the least delete all Linux-specific files (in extreme cases the entire game?) and re-download the Windows ones. Of course, after you boot into Linux, it'll do the reverse.

So... not a practical proposition any way you look at it. :-(
tuubi Sep 5, 2017
Quoting: GuestDual booting is for beginners, be pro and use single os only.
Okay this is getting embarassing. For you I mean. I'm not sure if you're trying to troll or just doing Linux evangelism wrong, but please stop.

One of the reasons GamingOnLinux has come as far as it has is because we're not a venue for zealots and elitists, but a relaxed community of Linux gamers of all creeds. It's nice that you're happy with Linux as your one and only OS (and so am I), but let others decide for themselves. They'll see the light some day without us beating them over the head with it.
Ehvis Sep 5, 2017
You may be able to do share things on a per game basis. Pick the data directory of a large game, check if the files are identical and symlink the Windows version to the Linux version. That saves space and is relatively safe. I suspect you will get updates twice though.

Personally, I started saving SSD space by deleting/installing games as I play them. A slight bit of bandwidth abuse. :D
g000h Sep 5, 2017
Yeah, I wouldn't share a folder between Windows and Linux Steam instances. Saying that, the few Windows games I play don't have Linux offerings, and there is no need to share them. I'd also keep separate my native Linux Steam games and any WINE Steam games.
Liam Dawe Sep 5, 2017
Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: GuestDual booting is for beginners, be pro and use single os only.
Okay this is getting embarassing. For you I mean. I'm not sure if you're trying to troll or just doing Linux evangelism wrong, but please stop.

One of the reasons GamingOnLinux has come as far as it has is because we're not a venue for zealots and elitists, but a relaxed community of Linux gamers of all creeds. It's nice that you're happy with Linux as your one and only OS (and so am I), but let others decide for themselves. They'll see the light some day without us beating them over the head with it.
This x over 9000.

We are a community, we aren't die hard zealots and we don't like that kind of behaviour here.

Dual booting isn't the devil, sometimes it's necessary. Just because we love Linux and want it to succeed as a platform, doesn't necessarily mean we can't use other platforms too.

Anyway, debianxfce, your attitude is annoying me. Please stop, don't derail forum posts with zealotry.
slaapliedje Sep 5, 2017
debianxfce is a troll, he thinks XFCE is the best thing ever, and everything else is crap and that people who use Gnome are retarded.

So I guess the people who use Windows in his eyes are not much smarter than a really old can of spam.

Back on topic;

So I normally would launch the Windows version of Wine to use that directory, for some reason I did it through the Linux Client, which caused all my ills. But I really wish Valve would fix that, seeing as how it'd be nice to have a central storage so that no matter what the data is synced in there.

For example, I've also managed to tell Steam at one point to install the data files for Morrowind, that shows up as 'installed' in Linux because I also added the non-steam launcher for openmw.

Would be nice if the debian 'game-data' package had more of a direct way of getting data files through Steam.
jaguar Nov 4, 2017
thanks for the info
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.