Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Soldier of Fortune OpenGL error
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
megalanya Sep 8, 2017
I am getting an OpenGL error in Soldier of Fortune. What could be the problem?

Thanks.
sr_ls_boy Sep 8, 2017
My guess is the opengl extension string is too long.
megalanya Sep 8, 2017
Quoting: sr_ls_boyMy guess is the opengl extension string is too long.

How can I fix it?
sr_ls_boy Sep 8, 2017
By prepending an environment variable prior to starting the game.
megalanya Sep 8, 2017
Quoting: sr_ls_boyBy prepending an environment variable prior to starting the game.

How can I do this?
sr_ls_boy Sep 8, 2017
That all depends on which driver you use. The driver will limit the strings for you.
Check the tips for games using Quake 3 Arena engine at the wine DB. I off hand don't
know what variable you need.
Hamish Sep 9, 2017
Yeah, I had the same problem with SiN Gold.

Here is my forum post discussing how I resolved it:
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/topic/2629?page=1
megalanya Sep 9, 2017
Quoting: sr_ls_boyThat all depends on which driver you use. The driver will limit the strings for you.
Check the tips for games using Quake 3 Arena engine at the wine DB. I off hand don't
know what variable you need.

I am using a AMD card and the open-source drivers.

Soldier of Fortune uses Quake II engine, nots Quake III.

Also there is no problem with other games that use OpenGL and Direct3D. Games like Quake III, Delta Force: Land Warrior, Call of Duty 2 and Urban Terror are running without any problems.

Only in Soldier of Fortune was such a distress.
Hamish Sep 9, 2017
Yeah, this is a problem pretty specific to Quake II engine games like Soldier of Fortune and SiN.

Since you are using Mesa just enter the following command into a terminal before launching the game from the same terminal window (or shell script like I did for SiN Gold):
export MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR=2000

And you should be good to go.
megalanya Sep 9, 2017
Quoting: HamishYeah, this is a problem pretty specific to Quake II engine games like Soldier of Fortune and SiN.

Since you are using Mesa just enter the following command into a terminal before launching the game from the same terminal window (or shell script like I did for SiN Gold):

And you should be good to go.

Unfortunately, it didn't work.

wine SoF.exe

fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 2.15 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 16
fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 16
recursive shutdown
ageres Sep 9, 2017
There is a Linux port of Soldier of Fortune. Why don't you use it?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.