You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Being Halloween.. what is the first video game to really make you jump?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
slaapliedje Oct 13, 2017
For me it was Rescue on Fractulus (AKA Rescue Mission, AKA Behind Jagged Lines). For those individuals who have never heard of this brilliant game, I played it on the Atari 8bit computer, and you shoot out of a space station and clear the skies above the planet, killing aliens and then you land and fetch crashed pilots. This was an early first person shooter with fractally generated landscapes (hence the name of Fractulus). The first few levels were straight forward, you land close enough to the crashed ship, turn off your engines and the pilot will run out to you and knock on the door. You open the hatch, let him in and then back to the base.

As it gets harder you may notice the pilot has a green helmet. These are enemy aliens, you turn the engines on when they get close and it vaporizes them!

But further along, they get tricky withthe white helmets... and if you let them get close enough they pop up on your screen and alarms go off scaring the crap out of you.

The first time this happened to me was when I was playing with my brother and we literally fell backward out of our chairs and of course died in the game.
Liam Dawe Oct 13, 2017
Blimey that's a tough one, tough because I've been playing games since the Sega Master System (which was release in the late 80s), just before I was born in fact so my earlier memories are a little hazy.

Honestly though, it's quite possible the first game to truly make me jump was Alien Trilogy for the Sega Saturn. I saw some of the Alien films when I was young (far too young in hindsight), so the atmosphere of it utterly fucking terrified me.
denyasis Oct 13, 2017
Dark Forces.The Sewage plant level. As young person, the swamp monster got me every time. Several years later... System Shock 2. The mutants were terrifying.
tuubi Oct 14, 2017
Don't remember any early scary moments in-game, but my first game-related trauma is from when my big brother had recorded a W.A.S.P. bootleg over my then favourite C-64 game cassette and it wouldn't load. :(

Oh right, Elvira on the Amiga had some scary scenes for a kid, but they were mostly just gory.
ertuqueque Oct 14, 2017
Well, I remember being a kid in the '90s (11, maybe) and being super scared and jumpy with the "frankenstein" enemies in Wolfenstain 3D... But recently, wihout any doubt, playing "Amnesia: The dark descent"... To the point that I haven't even played it for more than 1h. I stopped playing it until I upgrade my PC and create a proper "Youtube channel" so I can at least record myself playing and talking about it, just to trick myself into feeling that I have company. Otherwise, I don't think I have the guts to finish it on my own.
slaapliedje Oct 14, 2017
Ha, I still haven't finished Penumbra, due to it giving me serious anxiety attacks. I should try Alien Isolation in VR.
razing32 Oct 15, 2017
Quoting: slaapliedjeHa, I still haven't finished Penumbra, due to it giving me serious anxiety attacks. I should try Alien Isolation in VR.

You may want standing by with adrenaline and shock pedals :P
slaapliedje Oct 15, 2017
Quoting: razing32
Quoting: slaapliedjeHa, I still haven't finished Penumbra, due to it giving me serious anxiety attacks. I should try Alien Isolation in VR.

Don't forget the spare clean underwear.
tuubi Oct 15, 2017
Quoting: slaapliedje
Quoting: razing32

Don't forget the spare clean underwear.
Just wear brown pants. Or no pants and play on the toilet.
slaapliedje Oct 15, 2017
New thing, Viving on the Shitter!
Mezron Oct 19, 2017
Beast Busters - Arcade and Amiga - Late 80's - Was up super late one night playing this with my sister watching when a moth flew into my room and scared the fuck out of us right when we were on the elevator portion of the game.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.