Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Ataribox
stretch611 Oct 22, 2017
Actually that was pretty interesting... a bit more information for those interested in the linux based atari box.
BlackBloodRum Oct 27, 2017
Now this, is a games console I can get behind and support. If they pull this off I can almost personally guarantee at least 1 sale from me.

I wonder if their store will work on other distros? Being open and such like they claim it could, in theory, be done. Just like steam?

My TV needs this, the more Linux the better I say I do I do I do.
Mohandevir Oct 27, 2017
Nice interview. It reminds me a lot of Valve's Steam Machines launch though... Atari will have to be really agressive and have a Console/TVBox experience/integration that is nothing less than stellar with awesome and new features, if they want to succeed without exclusives... Personally, I'm already a Linux user and future Ataribox buyer, but to convince new users of commiting to a new box when the actual pc can do the same and even play AAA games (as a nice to have)... Not sure. I hope, I really hope that I'm wrong.

Maybe John Carmack will develop games for the Ataribox? :)

http://www.pcgamer.com/john-carmack-the-power-of-the-pc-will-never-get-to-mobile/

Edit:
Still the key feature might be the "Atari Store". What will it be like?
Seriously, if we have access to a "Linux only" store where there is no need to be careful avoiding (and no teasers) for "Windows only" games (Steam, I'm looking at you)... Wow!
slaapliedje Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, the interview mentions the Steam Machines and why they 'failed' which is pretty much what I'd been saying. If they'd worked with Dell/Alienware or someone like Zotac to make a standard Steam Machine and sold it as such, I bet there would have been people buying it. I mean when you make a diverse set of hardware specs (outside of say a game bundle or more hard drive space like PS4/Xbox One) it makes it 1) harder to figure out what to buy for the masses, who expect a game console to be a standard set of performance, 2) hard for brick and mortar shops like Gamestop to carry them on shelves, where there is still a good amount of the console gamers getting games.

Ataribox as a steam machine could solve both of those.

The only reasons I'm hesitant about this is 1) Atari burned a lot of bridges when they were owned by the Tramiels and since then have been passed around like a bong at a party. I'd say they're solely a marketing company now, but apparently they even outsourced the marketing and are pretty much a small group of people trying to sell the brand.. 2) That Feargal Mac guy that is behind it has some sketchy past with crowdfunding.

Otherwise I'm all for a proper console that is open and running Linux. You guys get that. Some over at AtariAge claim there is no one who cares about an open, Linux based console.
1xok Oct 31, 2017
Thanks for your comments. I've got some thoughts on that, too:

I think Steam Machines had and still have two major problems:

1. They all have a bad price/performance ratio. They are just to expensive.
2. For the customer, it remains completely unclear where exactly the advantages of the concept lie.

Steam Machines have never been able to compete with the consoles because they were simply much more expensive. People then compared them to Windows PCs, but only in terms of games available. Again, Steam Machines had no chance.

The Ataribox, on the other hand, is at the same price level as a PS4 slim. I own a PS4 slim. It's a nice device. But many so called indie games don't run on it or are not nice to play.

Atari would do well to have a curated list of games that runs nice on the Ataribox but don't do on the consoles. Games like Minecraft and Factorio. These games are either not available for consoles or you have to play without important things like mods. You cannot use Discord or other normal voice chat. You can hardly use anything. Only with the latest update the media player of the PlayStation can handle different audio tracks, for example.

There is an incredible hype around the consoles. Okay, there are some really good exclusive titles and capabilities. But they're hundreds of things that don't work at all or only work to a very limited extent. Very important things like watching your films (not matter in which format) or playing Minecraft on common servers. Many games are missing or appear very late. See Stardew Valley for example.

If Ataris marketing succeeds in demonstrating the benefits of a Linux console, they will succeed.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.