Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Can't set CPU Governor Ryzen 1700X
Avehicle7887 Nov 14, 2017
I'd like to be able to set the governor on my Ryzen machine, however it says no driver is available.

Using Mint 18.1 with the recently released 4.14 Kernel / Ryzen 1700X (Downloaded from Official Ubuntu server). Everything works fine but I'm unable to set the governor. I never really bothered with it on this system and if I can squeeze a little more performance I'll gladly go for it.

Running cpufreq-info in terminal provides the following output for all cores:

analyzing CPU 0:
no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
maximum transition latency: 4294.55 ms.
Unshra Nov 17, 2017
Unlike Intel's P-State driver there are no AMD-specific drivers for Ryzen so it will show up as unknown.
Xpander Dec 6, 2017
you dont need RCU_NOCB_CPU enabled, you can just disable C-state from BIOS and it wont hang/lock then. will consume 10W more power in idle though.

as for cpu governor, some games dont even pull this cpu to load so yeah cpu governor can help.

try installing cpupower

and you can use something like this:

#freq=cpupower frequency-info |grep "current"*
# by xpander

if [[ $# -eq 1 ]]; then
    case $1 in 
        "-p")
            pkexec cpupower frequency-set -g performance && notify-send "Performance Mode" "Cpu clocks set to perfromance mode" -t 2000 -i messagebox_info;;
        "-c")
            pkexec cpupower frequency-set -g schedutil && notify-send "Schedutil Mode" "Cpu clocks set to conservative mode" -t 2000 -i messagebox_info;;
        "-o")
            pkexec cpupower frequency-set -g ondemand && notify-send "Ondemand Mode" "Cpu clocks set to ondemand mode" -t 2000 -i messagebox_info;;
        "-s")
            pkexec cpupower frequency-set -g powersave && notify-send "Powersave Mode" "Cpu clocks set to powersave mode" -t 2000 -i messagebox_info;;
        *)
            echo "Invalid option";;
    esac
fi

you can get the commands from the script. pkexec is used for not having to type admin password as i have done polkit rules. but you can use it with sudo as well.
chui2ch Dec 6, 2017
I had to install linux-tools-generic when I manually installed an newer kernel.
Samsai Dec 7, 2017
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: Xpanderas for cpu governor, some games dont even pull this cpu to load so yeah cpu governor can help.

Disable all code that you do not need in the Linux kernel to speed up the kernel.
make xconfig:
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ:
This is a nice method to save power.
If in doubt, say N.

Use the bios to control the PC power usage. The cpu frequency governor is not a standard or required feature of the Linux kernel. Disable also ACPI_PROCESSOR to prevent ugly dmesg message.
I just love how your solution to a simple problem is the total nuking and rebuilding of the core operating system. You know, here's a recommendation: when someone asks for help with their distro maybe don't write a book about how they should first install another distro and then compile their kernel with just the right flags. It's very likely they won't listen to you anyway and you just end up clogging up the conversation so it becomes even harder for them to find the actually relevant helpful messages.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.