Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
EFF Resigns from W3C
sr_ls_boy Nov 18, 2017
EFF Resigns from W3C over a spat involving DRM modules being adopted into the next HTML standard.
I think I got this right. Actually I don't know what is going on but it sounds like every freedom
loving individual better learn real quick! Anyway the vote was held in secret!

I can't say more because I'm just hearing about this. But my first reaction is: What the H***!

link1
link2
razing32 Nov 18, 2017
Yup. Firefox already has options for DRM content. You can opt in or out.
This thing is a serious blow to privacy but not sure what we can do now.
I feel most sorry for the US as between DRM in HTML and Net Neutrality being scrapped they will have a totally different internet.
Salvatos Nov 19, 2017
And what goes in the US, will go around the world... especially when it comes to the Internet.
s8as8a Nov 19, 2017
Quoting: razing32Yup. Firefox already has options for DRM content. You can opt in or out.
This thing is a serious blow to privacy but not sure what we can do now.
I feel most sorry for the US as between DRM in HTML and Net Neutrality being scrapped they will have a totally different internet.
Not that I'm a fan of DRM at all, but according to this website ( https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-drm ), the software for decoding DRM-ed content is sandboxed ("The CDM runs in a separate container called a sandbox and you will be notified when a CDM is in use." ), so it can't spy on you (except for, perhaps, reporting what DRM-ed content you watch, but the point is that your system is hidden).
s8as8a Nov 19, 2017
Quoting: SalvatosAnd what goes in the US, will go around the world... especially when it comes to the Internet.
Unfortunately, I think you're right. (Not that it should take us being affected to care about others being affected. Also, I'm not implying that you meant that.)
Shmerl Nov 19, 2017
Nasty stuff. W3C sold out to the DRM lobby. We should blame Netflix, Google, Amazon and MS for it. They were the heavy pushers of this trash.
dvd Nov 19, 2017
Quoting: SalvatosAnd what goes in the US, will go around the world... especially when it comes to the Internet.

Not necesseraly, it all depends on if the other big players embrace a change or not. It also depends on people, whether they value their freedom or their comfort higher.
razing32 Nov 19, 2017
Quoting: dvd

Not necesseraly, it all depends on if the other big players embrace a change or not. It also depends on people, whether they value their freedom or their comfort higher.

Pretty sure that means we're doomed
dvd Nov 20, 2017
Quoting: razing32
Quoting: dvd

Pretty sure that means we're doomed

Well i agree with you. But I'm more concerned about hardware solutions like the PSP, which are far more harmful in my opinion. Activists/enthusiasts can always write software, or create a community. Influencing laws / creating alternative competition in that case requires serious money which the free software/computing community lacks. And it's not like people haven't chosen comfort over freedom in their choice of hardware.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.