You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Pillars of Eternity (gog 7) installer crashes Debian Buster
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Arehandoro Nov 28, 2017
Hi guys,

Preparing myself to Pillars of Eternity 2, and to give a second round to the first one plus experiencing the expansions for first time, I decided to install the game again on my PC. Only to find out the installation crashes, the installer deletes the folder created for the game and leaves a bit in the limbo.

The error thrown by the installer is somethings around these lines "Fail to crate directory" or "The Directory failed to be created" or similar. Only a "OK" button is presented and after clicking on it another prompt appears stating all the changes done by the installer will be deleted. I didn't take a screenshot but could do tonight if that helps.

Do you know where could I check some logs to see where the problem lies?

I have tried changing the path of the installation to not avail. Also gave a go with different GOG games and they install and launch correctly. Went to GOG to check for some support, I know Debian isn't but thought they could mayeb help somehow, and selecting the OS asks me to run a script to get some reports. The script is also deleted after the crash so don't hav a way to achieve this.

The game worked in the past, probably under Debian Jessie though.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!
crt0mega Nov 28, 2017
I doubt that the installer keeps logfiles somewhere but if you run it inside of a terminal it might produce some valuable output there. If you could manage to upload a screenshot of the error message somewhere it might also be helpful :)

Are you on sid or on testing? I might try PoE by myself if I've got some spare time.
razing32 Nov 28, 2017
The error message makes me think of a permissions issue.
I am on Antergos but I can try to download and install the game to see if I encounter any issues myself.
crt0mega Nov 28, 2017
Quoting: razing32The error message makes me think of a permissions issue.
Aye, that's very likely.
Avehicle7887 Nov 28, 2017
I normally "install" GOG games by unzipping the installer manually, the command is something along: unzip -d /home/user/output gog_game_name.sh

The main game files is the "output/data/noarch" folder. Everything else can be deleted.

Expansions can also be installed the same way, simply unzip the installers and merge the data from the "noarch" folder in the main game.
Arehandoro Nov 28, 2017
Quoting: crt0megaI doubt that the installer keeps logfiles somewhere but if you run it inside of a terminal it might produce some valuable output there. If you could manage to upload a screenshot of the error message somewhere it might also be helpful :)

Are you on sid or on testing? I might try PoE by myself if I've got some spare time.

I do run it from commnand line and the only output that I saw, although I might have missed some, was a GTK module from having my locales in en-gb instead of US. I'm on Testing, freshly installed over the weekend. Ok, will post a pic when I get home tonight.

Quoting: crt0mega
Quoting: razing32The error message makes me think of a permissions issue.
Aye, that's very likely.

I thought gog installers didn't need any special permissions. I believe the only thing I did to that account was adding it to the sudoers group with the visudo command, probably did something wrong in that case xD

Quoting: avehicle7887I normally "install" GOG games by unzipping the installer manually, the command is something along: unzip -d /home/user/output gog_game_name.sh

The main game files is the "output/data/noarch" folder. Everything else can be deleted.

Expansions can also be installed the same way, simply unzip the installers and merge the data from the "noarch" folder in the main game.

I like this as well, will try if no more optiones available ^^

Thanks for the prompt replies :D
damarrin Nov 28, 2017
What directory are you trying to install the game to? Perhaps you don't have permissions for it? If it's something system-wide (like /opt) are you running the installer with sudo?
dvd Nov 28, 2017
Quoting: damarrinWhat directory are you trying to install the game to? Perhaps you don't have permissions for it? If it's something system-wide (like /opt) are you running the installer with sudo?

Gog installers lately install everything under ~/GOG Games i think. Do you have enough space on your partition?
crt0mega Nov 28, 2017
I'm downloading PoE and will try to install it on unstable tomorrow. Please don't try to install the game as root/with sudo in your home directory. If something messed up your permissions on "~" we'll find a solution :)

Quoting: damarrinWhat directory are you trying to install the game to? Perhaps you don't have permissions for it?
Quoting: dvdDo you have enough space on your partition?
That's something I'd also like to know :)
Arehandoro Nov 29, 2017
Quoting: damarrinWhat directory are you trying to install the game to? Perhaps you don't have permissions for it? If it's something system-wide (like /opt) are you running the installer with sudo?
Quoting: dvd

Gog installers lately install everything under ~/GOG Games i think. Do you have enough space on your partition?
Quoting: crt0megaI'm downloading PoE and will try to install it on unstable tomorrow. Please don't try to install the game as root/with sudo in your home directory. If something messed up your permissions on "~" we'll find a solution :)

Quoting: damarrinWhat directory are you trying to install the game to? Perhaps you don't have permissions for it?
Quoting: dvdDo you have enough space on your partition?
That's something I'd also like to know :)

Sorry guys, I got home almost at midnight yesterday and didn't have the time to post the screenshot. Will do today.

I was installing in default directory and also tried on my home folder under a different directory. As I mentioned, other gog games install just fine in both locations. I don't use sudo to run the script and if I recall correctly I have around 200GB free on that disk.

Might be a Matrix glitch xD

Thanks for the help!
Arehandoro Nov 29, 2017
As promised, here are the screenshots:

And this after clicking in "Close"

Any ideas?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.